Newton's Law question, Not sure if right

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two small objects exerting forces on each other, with one object being subjected to an external force and both objects accelerating at different rates. The goal is to find the magnitude of the force between the two objects. The solution involves using the equations F=ma and ƩF = ƩmƩa to find the mass of the objects and then solving for F using the known values of acceleration. The solution also takes into account the direction of the force, which is repulsive as B accelerates faster than A. The final answer for F is 1.13x10^-2 N.
BreakPoint

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9987/forcediagram.png

In the figure above, two small objects (magnets for instance) of the same mass exert forces on each other of a magnitude F. When object A is subjected to an external force of 3.6x10^-2 N, A accelerates at 1.6 m/s/s and B accelerates at 2.1 m/s/s as shown. Find F. Neglect other forces, assume accelerations are parallel.

Homework Equations

F=ma
ƩF = ƩmƩa

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the solution i got is entirely correct but this is it

ƩF(A) = 3.6x10^-12
ƩF(B) = (3.6x10^-2) + F

I got this because B is accelerating faster which means the force on B must be greater if the masses are equal.

Using this, I found the mass of A, by F = ma

3.6x10^-2 = m(1.6)
m = .0225 kg, so A and B are .0225 kg

To find F, I substitute the mass into F = ma for F(b)

So

(3.6x10^-2)+ F = .0225*2.1
F = 1.13x10^-2 N

Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
BreakPoint said:

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9987/forcediagram.png

In the figure above, two small objects (magnets for instance) of the same mass exert forces on each other of a magnitude F. When object A is subjected to an external force of 3.6x10^-2 N, A accelerates at 1.6 m/s/s and B accelerates at 2.1 m/s/s as shown. Find F. Neglect other forces, assume accelerations are parallel.

Homework Equations

F=ma
ƩF = ƩmƩa

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if the solution i got is entirely correct but this is it

ƩF(A) = 3.6x10^-12
ƩF(B) = (3.6x10^-2) + F

I got this because B is accelerating faster which means the force on B must be greater if the masses are equal.

Using this, I found the mass of A, by F = ma

3.6x10^-2 = m(1.6)
m = .0225 kg, so A and B are .0225 kg

To find F, I substitute the mass into F = ma for F(b)

So

(3.6x10^-2)+ F = .0225*2.1
F = 1.13x10^-2 N

Is that correct?

You have not allowed for F acting on each body. being as B accelerates faster than A - moves away from it - the force F must be repulsive.

For A, 3.6 x 10-2 N acts to the right, anf F acts to the left.
For B, just F acts to the right.

From that you can get what you are after.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be mathematically represented as F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force on the first object.

How do Newton's Laws of Motion relate to everyday life?

Newton's Laws of Motion are important in understanding how objects move and interact with each other in everyday situations. For example, the first law explains why objects stay at rest or continue to move at a constant speed unless acted upon by a force. The second law explains how forces cause objects to accelerate, and the third law explains how forces are always present in pairs.

What are the limitations of Newton's Laws of Motion?

While Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental principles in classical mechanics, they have limitations. They do not account for extreme conditions such as objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light or objects with very small mass. They also do not account for the effects of gravity and other forces on a microscopic level.