1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Laws - Positive & negative direction

1. Jul 8, 2017 #1
    Hi,
    While solving homework problems, I start by defining a positive-y direction and a positive-x direction. Let's say up and to the right. Until now, I've applied this same rule to all objects in each problem, no matter the direction the object moves. But it seems I have not understood this fully.
    While solving the problem for the attached picture, I had to define a positive direction up for box A, and a positive direction down for box C to get the right answer. Is the positive direction decided by which direction the object moves in constant acceleration problems like this?

pic1.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2017 #2
    The reason you have to do this is because you have chosen to keep a always positive. A consequence of this is that the force of gravity is positive for block A and negative for block C to make F=ma come out right.
    Thats not how I would have done it. I would have chosen up is positive always, and the acceleration for A would be a, and the acceleration for block C would be -a.

4. Jul 8, 2017 #3
    I agree! I recall doing it this way before, had forgotten all about it. Thank you :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted