Which Course Should I Take Next for My Physics or EE Degree?

• Courses
  • Thread starter CrunchBerries
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, if you are working towards a Physics or EE degree, it is recommended to take Physics 2 (E&M) next. If you are considering doubling up on courses, taking Physics 2 and Ordinary Differential Equations would be a good combination.
CrunchBerries
I am working toward an eventual Physics or EE degree.

I currently have completed the following courses online in this order;

Calc 1, Calc 2, Linear Algebra, Phys 1 (calc based classical mech), working on vector Calc 3.

The following are available for me:

- Complex Variables 1
- Ordinary Diff Eq
- Phys 2 (E&M)

Of the three, which one should I pick next?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
if you might go into EE or Physics, by all means take PHY 2 next. You don't need the higher maths till later. Typically, PHY 2 is taken immediately after PHY 1.

Likes CrunchBerries
Ordinarily, with a full course load, taking two makes more sense than taking one. If taking only one, Physics 2 makes the most sense.

Likes CrunchBerries
Thanks guys, if i were to double up a course, what whould you suggest?

Dr Transport said:
phys 2 and diff eq's
Agree.

Likes CrunchBerries
Dr Transport said:
phys 2 and diff eq's

Yep.

Likes CrunchBerries

1. What factors should I consider when selecting my next course?

When selecting your next course, it is important to consider your academic goals, your strengths and weaknesses, your schedule, and any prerequisite courses that may be required. You should also consider the difficulty level of the course and how it aligns with your interests and future career plans.

2. How can I determine if a course is a good fit for me?

To determine if a course is a good fit for you, you can read the course description and syllabus, talk to students who have taken the course, and consult with your academic advisor. You can also attend the first class session to get a better sense of the course content and teaching style.

3. Is it better to take a course that is required for my major or one that is more interesting to me?

This depends on your individual academic goals and priorities. If you are passionate about a subject outside of your major, it may be beneficial to take a course that aligns with your interests. However, if you are unsure of your future career plans, it may be wise to prioritize courses that fulfill major requirements.

4. How can I balance my course load and ensure I am not overwhelmed?

To balance your course load, it is important to carefully plan your schedule and consider the workload of each course. You can also talk to your academic advisor about your course load and seek their advice on what courses to take together. Additionally, make sure to prioritize self-care and manage your time effectively.

5. What resources are available to help me with my course selection?

There are many resources available to help with course selection, including your academic advisor, upperclassmen, and online course catalogs. You can also attend information sessions or workshops offered by your school or department. Additionally, the course registration system may provide helpful tools or recommendations for selecting courses that align with your academic goals.