Finding Number of Onto Functions | Set A & Set B

• Thread starter Vishalrox
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about determining the number of possible "onto" functions from a set A with n elements to a set B with m elements, and proving it using a mapping of elements from A to B. The answer involves the mP1 + mP2 + mP3 +... + mPn Permutations formula and the condition that m=n for there to be mPn onto functions. The question is asking for the number of surjective functions from a domain of m elements to a co-domain of n elements, and there is a method involving a 0 to n summation. The conversation also discusses finding the number of non-surjective functions by thinking about them as surjective functions going to a smaller co-domain
Vishalrox
Nice ques to solve !

Homework Statement

Let set 'A' have 'n' number of elements and let set 'B' have 'm' number of elements and let their's a defined function f:A→B. Determine the number of possible 'onto' functions that are possible and valid..!..prove it by mapping of elements from 'A' to 'B'..!

2. The attempt at a solution

According to my logic there are mP1 + mP2 + mP3 +... + mPn Permutations..
is my answer correct...and i could understand that Only if m=n, we will have mPn onto functions. If n<m, none of the functions would be onto...is my statement correct for n>m...and also gimme other logic or methods..!

Physics news on Phys.org

To be a little more clear would you be able to write the question word for word as it appears in your homework?

Are you asking "How many surjective functions exist from a domain of m elements to a co-domain of n elements?"? I believe that there is a very handy method that gives this answer with one equation involing a 0 to n summation, have you covered any such equations?

Edit, looking back it seems that you are trying to derive that equation.

Think about the total number of functions. Can you think of a way to find the number of non-surjective functions?

Hint: A non surjective function going to the co-domain B can be discribed as a surjective function going to a smaller co-domain.

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the number of onto functions between two sets?

To find the number of onto functions between two sets, you need to use the formula n! / (n-m)! where n is the number of elements in the larger set and m is the number of elements in the smaller set. This will give you the total number of possible onto functions.

2. What is the difference between onto and one-to-one functions?

An onto function is a function where every element in the target set is mapped to by at least one element in the domain set. A one-to-one function, on the other hand, is a function where each element in the target set is mapped to by only one element in the domain set.

3. Can there be more onto functions than one-to-one functions between two sets?

No, the number of onto functions between two sets can never exceed the number of one-to-one functions between the same two sets. This is because every one-to-one function is also an onto function, but not every onto function is a one-to-one function.

4. How do I know if a function is onto?

To determine if a function is onto, you need to check if every element in the target set has at least one element in the domain set that maps to it. If there is at least one element in the target set that is not mapped to by any element in the domain set, then the function is not onto.

5. Can a function be both onto and one-to-one?

Yes, a function can be both onto and one-to-one. This type of function is called a bijection. A bijection is a function where every element in the target set is mapped to by exactly one element in the domain set, and every element in the domain set maps to exactly one element in the target set.