No Job Offers? Local Supermarket Rejects You

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the supermarket rejected the applicant because they didn't fit in with the rest of the work force and were over qualified. The most important thing is to fit in and try to find a job that uses the phrase "Do you want fries with that?"
Smurf said:
How does one 'scope out' a business though? Keep in mind I'm not from town, I don't really know anyone.
Look them up on the internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
At this point, work is work, no matter where you find it. You may not like it, but do it until you find something better. Now Bobs advice was good, but I half to tell you, I just hired over 20 people for my son and I DID look very closely at their hobbies and civic involvement.
Nearly every one I hired is involved in things that showed me they went the extra mile.
I passed up people with 4 yr degrees for a layed off line worker from a factory. He was articulate, willing to learn and a team leader for Habitat for Humanity on Sundays.
The three collage kids we got for cashiers, belong to a group who adopted a strech of highway near me. I watched these kids pick up litter, schlep water and pull weeds all summer. They smile..and are people friendly.
The only person I hired only because he had a proven track record of getting the job done was a general floor manager.
I suggest putting in apps everywhere, even if you don't want to work there.

Smurf said:
God damn crap **** ****. Even the local supermarket turned me down. Grrrrr :grumpy: :mad:
you could be a temp. Or you can pick up on criminal activity :smile:

I'll have to agree with Evo and Townsend, I've never known anyone who couldn't get a job that was actually trying. Not to say that you aren't trying but it shouldn't take too much longer so long as you're looking hard enough. When I was your age it took me quite some time to find a job. It's normal if you don't have much work experience and like Evo pointed out you're in a college town so the employers have a whole slew of kids to hire from. You could try a temp agency. I have a friend that hasn't been out of work for more than a couple weeks at a time in years by working through an agency. He just picked up a job starting at $17.50 an hour through an agency. He's not in school and doesn't even have a degree.
It's not that hard to find a job.

The only interviews I got was the ones I submitted more than one resume.

Come on Smurf, you've only been hunting for three weeks and you're already disheartened?

On a side note, I'm starting with AmeriCorps (the domestic Peace Corps) next week. It's not technically a job, but we do get a living stipend and a scholarship at the end of the service term. My workstudy award covers the money. Does Canada not have workstudy programs or do you just not qualify?

By the way, to the guy who got a BS in Chemistry and couldn't find work, you may have been looking in the wrong place. There were people at LACC finding employment fresh out of Analytic Chem that didn't even have associate's degrees. Not only has the chemical industry been so hot lately, but many found jobs with the city, doing water treatment or soil testing and other things. A chemistry degree is great to have for civic employment. I used to receive the ACS biweekly magazine (I forget what it was called) and they had a huge section in the back with job openings all over the place. Were you a member of ACS while you were in school? That might have helped, as they can do a lot to help place you in a job. Heck, I even found work one summer helping in a lab testing Alzheimer's treatments on rats, and I had only taken one chemistry class (it was through a program designed to get minorities research experience, though, so if you're white, you wouldn't have qualified).

The only time I've ever experienced any hardship because of unemployment was when frickin' Disneyland laid me off because DCA was doing so poorly and they decided to cut back on the entertainment department. I ended up moving to New Jersey and found work managing a chocolate shop. When I came back to SoCal I got a temp position at the LA County Museum of Natural History helping with the chocolate exhibit! Ah, chocolate. Then I went back into theme parks. It's a lot easier in the LA area, because if all else fails, the theme parks are always hiring, and they hire on the spot, interviewing you as you apply.

Last edited:
TheStatutoryApe said:
I'll have to agree with Evo and Townsend, I've never known anyone who couldn't get a job that was actually trying. Not to say that you aren't trying but it shouldn't take too much longer so long as you're looking hard enough. When I was your age it took me quite some time to find a job. It's normal if you don't have much work experience and like Evo pointed out you're in a college town so the employers have a whole slew of kids to hire from. You could try a temp agency. I have a friend that hasn't been out of work for more than a couple weeks at a time in years by working through an agency. He just picked up a job starting at $17.50 an hour through an agency. He's not in school and doesn't even have a degree.
It's not that hard to find a job.
I agree with Evo, Townsend, and StatutoryApe. Even being laid off from a construction job in a city ranked number one in the country in unemployment, I was able to find a job. Thankfully, I read the papers. When I read in the morning paper that a nightime gas station attendant was shot in the head and killed, I was there by 9 AM applying for the job.

Actually, that was my second job. A friend in the police department had hooked me up with the owner of a security company, so I made it through for awhile working two jobs as a security guard and a gas station attendant.

Admittedly, that wasn't that great a life. I joined the Air Force and got out of a town that still grows smaller every year.

i think that is a very good point...and for me...unemployment is a job...!
dont you think so?

Smurf said:
That's what it was at the last interview I got. Lucky timing. .

Yes. Which is why you should keep looking. Someone who wants a job will make his own "luck". There are ways of increasing the odds that you are in the right place at the right time. For instance, being first in line two weeks from now when the manager fires the other student. Another reason to be civil at all times - don't burn your bridges.

BTW, if you've only been there 3 weeks and are running out of money, take that burger-flipping job to hold you over until you find something better.