How Do You Calculate the Total Area of Rectangles and Triangles Combined?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total area of screen needed to cover all the rectangular walls and triangular openings. The formula A = l x w is used to calculate the areas of the rectangles, and A = b x w / 2 is used for the triangles. The total area needed is found by adding up all of the individual areas, resulting in a total of 62m2.
Kirito123

Homework Statement

upload_2016-4-29_12-7-12.png

2. Homework Equations

A = l x w
A = b x w / 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated all the areas for the triangles and rectangles. So for the first rectangle (the long one) I did (L)(w) = A. Basically 8 x 2 = 16m2 (this is the same area for the other long rectangle). Now to find the smaller rectangle ill use the same formula A= (L)(W), So 5 x 2 = 10. The area for the smaller rectangles is 10m2. Now all I have left is to find the area of the triangles. I’ll use the formula A = H x B/2. So 2 x 5 = 10, 10/2 = 5m2. So the areas for both triangles are 5m2.So now I am going to add all the areas I got so that I can determine how much screen I need to cover all the walls.

16 + 16 + 10 + 10 + 5 + 5 (Note: I did 16+16 since both rectangles are parallel same with 10+10 and 5+5)

= 62m2Ellen will need about 62m2 of screen to cover all of the rectangular walls and the triangular openings at each end with screen.
I don't know if the way i did is what they were asking for. Any help will do thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
O when it say like 62m2 , its means 62m2 just couldn't write it on here for some reason.

Kirito123 said:
O when it say like 62m2 , its means 62m2 just couldn't write it on here for some reason.
Seems to be OK.

Ok thanks for confirming it for me.

What is the formula for finding the area of a square?

The formula for finding the area of a square is length x width, or side x side.

How do you find the area of a rectangle?

To find the area of a rectangle, multiply the length by the width.

What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is 1/2 x base x height.

How do you calculate the area of a circle?

To calculate the area of a circle, use the formula π x radius2, where π is approximately 3.14.

What is the difference between perimeter and area?

Perimeter is the distance around the outside of a shape, while area is the measurement of the space inside a shape.