Node voltage with dependent voltage source

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a circuit problem using the node voltages method. The problem involves a dependent voltage source and the equations used to solve for the unknown variables are provided. The final solution is VB = 5I + 9 and VC = 45V. The value of I is also determined using Ohm's Law.
bnosam

Homework Statement

http://i62.tinypic.com/245fwxu.jpg[/B]

Homework Equations

& Attempt to solve
[/B]
http://i62.tinypic.com/142v6mv.jpg

Bottom: A
Top left: B
Top Right: C(1/100 + 1/5 + 1/25)VB - (1/25)VC + 6.25I = 450 mA

(20.8)VB - 0.04 VC + 6.25I = .450 A

VC = 45 + 6.25I

I know I'm doing something wrong here. VC doesn't seem right to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
bnosam said:
(1/100 + 1/5 + 1/25)VB - (1/25)VC + 6.25I = 450 mA
➊ This line is full of mistakes. Start again, explaining each term. If you are trying to do a lot in one line to save writing, then that's why you are making mistakes.

➋ Is the 6.25I a dependent voltage source or current source? (It's difficult to deduce from your working.)

NascentOxygen said:
➊ This line is full of mistakes. Start again, explaining each term. If you are trying to do a lot in one line to save writing, then that's why you are making mistakes.

➋ Is the 6.25I a dependent voltage source or current source? (It's difficult to deduce from your working.)

The way we always did it in my circuits class was put the thing straight into a matrix from the circuit by inspection. But that doesn't work with dependent sources as easily so in this class we abandoned that.

6.25I is a dependent voltage source. So I thought from node A at the bottom to the first Node B at the top:

The resistors connected to it would be:

(1/100 + 1/5 + 1/25) *VB

And the common resistor is -(1/25) VC

bnosam said:
The resistors connected to it would be:

(1/100 + 1/5 + 1/25) *VB

And the common resistor is -(1/25) VC
I don't understand this.

Try applying KCL clearly, expressing current leaving the node = current entering the node

We have to use the node voltages method for this.

bnosam said:
We have to use the node voltages method for this.
Assume a node voltage, then sum the currents into that node.

So if I understand then I still get without adding the dependent source.
VB/(100) + VB/(5) + (VB-VC)/25 = .45 A

bnosam said:
So if I understand then I still get without adding the dependent source.
VB/(100) + VB/(5) + (VB-VC)/25 = .45 A
It will be something like that. But you haven't correctly expressed the current through the 5 ohm resistor.

NascentOxygen said:
It will be something like that. But you haven't correctly expressed the current through the 5 ohm resistor.
would the 5 also contain a term for the dependent source?

bnosam said:
would the 5 also contain a term for the dependent source?
Ohm's law always applies: current through a resistor = voltage difference across the resistor / R
You need to involve the dependent source, yes, it controls the voltage at one end of the resistor.

VB/(100) + (VB-6.25I)/(5) + (VB-VC)/25 = .45 A

Is that what you mean?

bnosam said:
VB/(100) + (VB-6.25I)/(5) + (VB-VC)/25 = .45 A

Is that what you mean?
Yes. And you know I in terms of VB and VC. And you know the value of VC.
So that seems like enough equations to be able to solve for all unknowns.

VC = 45 V right?

bnosam said:
VC = 45 V right?
+45V, yes.

So when I solve I get : VB = 5I + 9I'm not really sure what I had for I/what I is

I is indicated on the diagram as the current through the 25Ω, with a direction going from R to L.
So, by Ohms Law, I = (the voltage on the right - voltage on the left) / 25
i.e., I = (45 - VB) / 25

1. What is a dependent voltage source?

A dependent voltage source is a type of voltage source that is controlled by another voltage or current in the circuit. It can be either a voltage-controlled voltage source (VCVS) or a current-controlled voltage source (CCVS).

2. How do you calculate node voltage with dependent voltage sources?

To calculate node voltage with dependent voltage sources, you need to use the Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) equations, along with the given dependent voltage source equations. You can also use nodal analysis or mesh analysis to solve for the node voltage.

3. What is the difference between a dependent voltage source and an independent voltage source?

The main difference between a dependent voltage source and an independent voltage source is that the output of a dependent voltage source is determined by some other voltage or current in the circuit, while an independent voltage source maintains a constant output regardless of the rest of the circuit.

4. Can you have multiple dependent voltage sources in a circuit?

Yes, you can have multiple dependent voltage sources in a circuit. However, it is important to note that the equations for each source must be independent of each other, as they cannot depend on each other for their output.

5. How do dependent voltage sources affect the overall circuit?

Dependent voltage sources can have a significant impact on the overall circuit, as they can change the behavior of other components in the circuit. They can also introduce nonlinearity and create more complex equations to solve for the circuit variables.