Non Conductive non feromagnetic but resistant material

• Thread starter NewMedDes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, Tom is looking for a non-conductive and non-ferromagnetic material that can hold up to 10 kg of equipment and be machinable. The conversation suggests using an aluminum covered with zinc plating bar, which may be expensive. Tom also considers using carbon fiber, but learns it is conductive. He wonders about using kevlar, which may be strong enough and not affected by the heat, but is unsure if it is conductive. Another suggestion is using a glass-filled nylon plastic, but Tom is unsure about its strength and how it can be worked.
NewMedDes
Hello,

I am looking for a material that does not conduct electricity and thus cannot as well become ferromagnetic, but offer enough structural (mechanical) strength to hold up to 10 kg of equipment. The material will be used to create a montage that enable positionning of the equipment. One should be able to machine the material (?!). Thank you for assisting and guiding.

Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could use an aluminum covered with zinc plating bar, (fully non-conductive.) Commonly used for engine testing on turbo fan systems. Though I have heard that it may be expensive.

Hi,

Thanks fior the information. I know that Aluminum is not ferromagnetic, but conductive. However, will it affect a powerfull magnetic field even with the zinc plating bars?

I am not familiar with the zinc plating bar. Would you have a place to go for me to check it out? Also, are they ways to plate (cover?) aluminun with zinc (electric, chemical process?)?

All the above is used in a powerful magnetic field and the field we generate should not be altered thus non conductive and non ferromagnetic materials such as wood, nylon (does not offer enough strength unless there are derived material that offer greater strength) or... I incidently learned that carbon fiber is conductive. is that rigth?

Thank you for your help.

best,

Tom

I do BELIEVE carbon fiber is conductive. I wonder, is there a lot of heat that this has to withstand? I also wonder if kevlar is conductive, because it is quite a strong material.

Lots of thermal energy/heat that this has to withstand?

Kevlar - good idea. I have to look if this is conductive or not.

About the heat:the equipment become hot and the whole montage will host a cooling system because the equipment can shut down if too hot. We are not talking thousand degrees - maximum 200 celsius which we will not reach because of the cooling system - nothing that would melt or ignite kevlar I believe.

Is Kevlar part of the polymer or fiber? Appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

Why not just use a plastic like a glass filled nylon?

Good idea. Is it non britle and can it stand strength? How do we work it? Thermoform or machining? Thanks.

1. What is a non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant material?

A non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant material is a substance that does not conduct electricity, is not attracted to magnets, but is able to withstand physical or chemical forces without breaking down or degrading.

2. What are some examples of non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials?

Some common examples of non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials include ceramics, glass, plastics, and certain types of rubber.

3. How is non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant material used in industry?

Non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials are often used in industrial applications where electrical insulation, non-magnetic properties, and durability are necessary. They are commonly used in electronics, construction, and automotive industries.

4. What makes non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials different from other materials?

Non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials have a unique combination of properties that make them useful in specific applications. These materials do not conduct electricity, are not affected by magnetic fields, and are able to withstand harsh environments without breaking down.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials?

One potential drawback of using non-conductive non-ferromagnetic but resistant materials is their relatively low strength compared to other materials. They may also be more expensive to produce. However, these materials are often chosen for their specific properties and can be designed to meet the necessary strength requirements.