1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-convergent power series but good approximation?

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hello,

In my QM class we're using power series which don't converge but apparently still give a good approximation if one only takes the lower-order terms.

Is there any way to understand such a phenomenon? Is it a genuine area of mathematics? Or is it impossible to say something general on this phenomenon?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    ^ Power series are just polynomials, right? So essentially you're approximating using low-order polynomials. I don't know anything about QM but that'd be my guess as to why what you're doing is reasonable.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might help to look at the math for a particular series to see what is going on. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling's_approximation

Usually, the terms of the divergent series reduce in size to a minimum and then increase. If you take the sum up to the smallest term in the series, the relatve error, | approximate value - exact value | / exact value, may converge to 0, even though the absolute error | approximate value - exact value | diverges.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook