Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Non-convergent power series but good approximation?

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    Hello,

In my QM class we're using power series which don't converge but apparently still give a good approximation if one only takes the lower-order terms.

Is there any way to understand such a phenomenon? Is it a genuine area of mathematics? Or is it impossible to say something general on this phenomenon?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2
    ^ Power series are just polynomials, right? So essentially you're approximating using low-order polynomials. I don't know anything about QM but that'd be my guess as to why what you're doing is reasonable.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might help to look at the math for a particular series to see what is going on. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling's_approximation

Usually, the terms of the divergent series reduce in size to a minimum and then increase. If you take the sum up to the smallest term in the series, the relatve error, | approximate value - exact value | / exact value, may converge to 0, even though the absolute error | approximate value - exact value | diverges.

5. Dec 11, 2011 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook