Non-enzyme detergent and egg whites

• Thread starter lekh2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Egg
In summary, during an experiment testing for enzymes eating away at egg whites, it was found that an enzyme detergent caused the egg whites to become softer and shriveled after being placed in the solution for 48 hours. However, when a non-enzyme detergent (Pigeon Baby Detergent) was used, the egg white did not change in texture and instead became harder and almost solid. This may be due to the detergent's alkaline pH level, which can cause proteins to denature and turn white. This could explain the unexpected results and is supported by research on denaturation caused by bases.
lekh2003
Gold Member
Hello everyone!

I was doing an experiment recently which was a run of the mill testing for enzymes eating away at egg whites. Now, I managed to correctly predict that an enzyme detergent would eat away at hard boiled egg white slices. I did this by placing the egg whites in an enzyme detergent solution for 48 hours. The egg became much softer, and shrivelled up.

At the same time, I found a brand of non-enzyme detergent, and placed an egg white slice in that as well. The brand was Pigeon Baby Detergent. The weird thing was that the egg white didn't get softer or stay the same. It actualy became harder and almost solid. I have a feeling this is because I kept the solution in an environment with an average temperature of around 40 degrees for 48 hours. Is it possible for the egg to become harder and more firm from being at such a temperature temperature for a long period of time?

I apologize if this is ridiculously simple, I just don't find anything of value online about eggs getting harder at these temperatures.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The proteins turn white when the albumen starts to denature (unravel) Heat can do this but pH can probably do this as well at lower temperatures.
What was the pH of the solution?

Ah, I'm sorry, I didn't have any indicator, but I would assume that the detergent is more alkaline. I guess that could be a contributing factor, and it would explain the results quite well. The non-enzyme baby detergent I used seems to be more alkaline than regular detergent.

1. What is a non-enzyme detergent?

A non-enzyme detergent is a type of detergent that does not contain enzymes. Enzymes are proteins that act as catalysts in chemical reactions, including the breakdown of stains in laundry. Non-enzyme detergents are typically made up of synthetic surfactants, which work to remove dirt and stains from fabrics.

2. How does a non-enzyme detergent differ from a regular detergent?

A regular detergent may contain enzymes, while a non-enzyme detergent does not. Enzymes can be effective in breaking down tough stains, but they can also cause skin irritation and are not suitable for all fabrics. Non-enzyme detergents are gentler and less likely to cause skin irritation, making them a better option for people with sensitive skin or for washing delicate fabrics.

3. Can non-enzyme detergent be used on all types of fabrics?

Non-enzyme detergents are generally safe to use on all types of fabrics, including cotton, polyester, and silk. However, it is always important to check the care instructions on your clothing before using any detergent. Some delicate fabrics may require special care and may not be suitable for washing with any type of detergent.

4. What are the benefits of using non-enzyme detergent?

One of the main benefits of using non-enzyme detergent is that it is less likely to cause skin irritation. This makes it a great option for people with sensitive skin or allergies. Non-enzyme detergents are also effective in removing dirt and stains from fabrics, and they can be used on a variety of fabrics without causing damage.

5. Can I use non-enzyme detergent to clean egg whites?

No, non-enzyme detergent should not be used to clean egg whites. Detergents are designed to remove dirt and stains from fabrics, not food substances. It is not safe to consume or ingest detergent, and using it to clean food items can leave behind harmful residues. It is best to use soap and water to clean egg whites or any other food substances.