Non-ideal atwood machine problem

In summary, an Atwood machine problem with non-ideal pulley was solved by finding the acceleration of the two objects using Newton's second law. Three equations were used, one for mass A, one for mass B, and one for the pulley, and then solved to determine the acceleration of 2.02m/s^2.
jacker2011
[SOLVED] non-ideal atwood machine problem

Homework Statement

Atwood machine.
mass a is 19kg and mass b is 9 kg
the pulley itself has diameter of 15cm and mass of 41kg
mass A and b are release from rest. How far does mass A move in 2 sec?

Homework Equations

I = 1/2 mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
really stuck at this non-ideal pulley problem..please help due tomorrow

I came up with two equation, but not sure if it is correct:
Ta(0.0075) + Tb(0.0075) = 1/2mr^2a
Total energy= 1/2mv^2 +1/2W^2+ mgh
What shall I do first? Find the acceleration of the two objects?

really need help in this

To find the acceleration, analyze the situation using Newton's second law, not conservation of energy.

You'll need three equations: one for mass a, one for mass b, and one for the pulley.

Analyze the forces on each object separately and apply Newton's 2nd law. Combine those three equations to solve for the acceleration.

ohh alright thanks!

wait, equation for what? solving for acceleration?
so i find 3 equations of acceleration for mass a, b and pulley?

first i guess all the acceleration is the same for pulley, mass A, and Mass B
i set them equal to each other and solve for acceleration

so the accleration is 2.02m/s^2

Looks about right.

What is a non-ideal Atwood machine?

A non-ideal Atwood machine is a simple mechanical system consisting of two masses connected by a string or pulley. Unlike an ideal Atwood machine, which assumes that the string is massless and frictionless, a non-ideal Atwood machine takes into account the effects of friction and the mass of the string.

What is the purpose of studying non-ideal Atwood machines?

Studying non-ideal Atwood machines allows scientists to better understand and model real-world mechanical systems. By accounting for factors such as friction and the mass of the string, scientists can make more accurate predictions and design more efficient machines.

What are the key equations used in solving non-ideal Atwood machine problems?

The key equations used in solving non-ideal Atwood machine problems are Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and the law of conservation of energy, which states that the total energy of a closed system remains constant.

How does friction affect the motion of a non-ideal Atwood machine?

Friction between the string and the pulley can cause the tension in the string to vary, resulting in a non-uniform acceleration for the masses. Friction can also cause energy to be lost, resulting in a decrease in the total energy of the system over time.

What are some real-world examples of non-ideal Atwood machines?

Some examples of non-ideal Atwood machines in the real world include elevators, cranes, and weightlifting machines. These systems all involve the use of a string or cable and take into account the effects of friction and the mass of the string in their design and operation.