Non-instantaneous model of applied force?

In summary, the speaker is a recent high school graduate who is trying to model physics with computer code. They are currently thinking about how to apply force using keyboard input and are considering two solutions: sin targeting of velocity and damping force. They are seeking advice on how to model damping force and are considering using a linear force increase over time to create smooth force transitions.
Aaorris
Hey everyone! I'm a recent high school graduate, and I've been trying to model some simple physics with computer code. What's on my mind right now is modeling applied force using keyboard input. The computer knows if a key is down, or not. Applying force based on that input would mean that your applied force is instantaneous! To remedy this, I imagine 2 solutions:
  1. Sin targeting of velocity
  2. Damping force
modeled below is an idea for sin targeting, but damping seems a more usual, less computer intensive method... I just have to think about modeling damping force more...

[thinking out loud]
for damping, F = -cV ?
delta_a = -cV
maybe I've just been thinking too hard. What do you guys think?
[PLAIN]http://popoa.webs.com/appliedForce.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see your picture from here at work, so I have to ask that you be a little more specific with what you are asking. Are you asking how to program a "ramp up" time where the force gradually increases in your program after you press the key? I'm not a programmer at all so I apologize if my terminology isn't correct.

Yes, imagine yourself pushing on a wall - you cannot instantly apply all of your force at once, and you also cannot pull away instantly. I just wanted insight into how to model that.

I believe I'll just half-skip this situation by having a linear force increase over a certain amount of time, until the force desired is reached to create smooth force transitions

1. What is a non-instantaneous model of applied force?

A non-instantaneous model of applied force is a mathematical representation of the effect of a force on an object over a period of time, rather than at a single instant. It takes into account factors such as the duration of the force, the mass and velocity of the object, and any other external forces acting on the object.

2. How is a non-instantaneous model different from an instantaneous model?

An instantaneous model only considers the effect of a force at a single moment in time, while a non-instantaneous model takes into account the duration of the force and its impact on the object's motion over time. In other words, an instantaneous model assumes the force is applied and then immediately stops, while a non-instantaneous model considers the force's gradual influence on the object's motion.

3. What are some real-world applications of a non-instantaneous model of applied force?

Non-instantaneous models are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, and biomechanics. They are particularly useful in analyzing the behavior of objects in motion, such as vehicles, projectiles, and human movements. They can also be applied to study the effects of forces on structures, materials, and biological systems.

4. How is a non-instantaneous model calculated?

A non-instantaneous model is typically calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and calculus. The specific calculations used will depend on the particular scenario and variables involved, but they will always take into account the duration and magnitude of the applied force and its impact on the object's motion.

5. What are the limitations of a non-instantaneous model of applied force?

While non-instantaneous models are valuable tools for understanding and predicting the behavior of objects under the influence of forces, they do have some limitations. They may not accurately predict the behavior of complex systems or those with constantly changing forces. Additionally, they rely on simplified assumptions and may not account for all factors that may affect an object's motion in real-life situations.