Is the Pole at u=2 Integrable?

In summary, the conversation is discussing whether the given function is integrable and if it has a pole at u=2. The speaker questions if the pole is integrable and asks for help in finding the required coordinate transform. The expert summarizes that the function is integrable in the Cauchy Principal-Value sense and explains the process of taking limits to compute the integral. The conversation also discusses a modified version of the function and its convergence under the Cauchy Principal-Value.
junt
Hi All,

I am wondering if the function below is Integrable:

$$\frac{\exp{(-\frac{1}{2}(u-2)^2-2u^2)}}{u-2}$$

When I work it out on computer, the integral is finite from -Inf to Inf. But clearly it has a pole at u=2. Is this pole integrable? If yes, what kind of coordinate transform is required?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
junt said:
Hi All,

When I work it out on computer, the integral is finite from -Inf to Inf. But clearly it has a pole at u=2. Is this pole integrable? If yes, what kind of coordinate transform is required?

Any help is appreciated!
in the vicinity of u=2, the numerator is bounded away from zero. The integral from 2-ε to 2 is -∞, while that from 2 to 2+ε is +∞. Trying to integrate through u=2 might effectively cancel these, leading to an apparently valid result, but it is not valid. -∞+∞ is undefined.

Likes junt
junt said:
Hi All,

Any help is appreciated!

It is integrable in the Cauchy Principal-Value sense: We take limits:

##\displaystyle\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \big\{\int_{-\infty}^{2-\epsilon} f(u)du+\int_{2+\epsilon}^{\infty}f(u)du\big\}##

We can numerically compute it in Mathematica:
Code:
In[104]:=
NIntegrate[Exp[(-2^(-1))*(u - 2)^2 - 2*u^2]/(u - 2), {u, -Infinity, 2, Infinity}, Method -> PrincipalValue]

Out[104]=

Likes Demystifier and junt
aheight said:

##\displaystyle\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \big\{\int_{-\infty}^{2-\epsilon} f(u)du+\int_{2+\epsilon}^{\infty}f(u)du\big\}##

We can numerically compute it in Mathematica:
Code:
NIntegrate[Exp[(-2^(-1))*(u - 2)^2 - 2*u^2]/(u - 2), {u, -Infinity, 2, Infinity}, Method -> PrincipalValue]

Out[104]=
That looks totally good. But when I modify my Integrand with different parameters, the same Integral doesn't seem to be Integrable under Cauchy Principal-Value. For instance:

$$2\frac{\exp{(-\frac{1}{4}(-2+u)^2-u^2)}}{|u-2|}$$

This integral doesn't converge in mathematica. Why is it so?

Code:
NIntegrate[2 Exp[-1/4*(u - 2)^2 - u^2]/Abs[(u - 2)], {u, -Infinity, 2, Infinity}, Method -> PrincipalValue]

Says failed to converge. Isn't it the same type of integral as my original post. I just changed some parameters.

One more thing, I originally had forgotten the absolute value on the denominator. So now, it looks like even my original integrand doesn't converge when I force my denominator to be positive.

Last edited:
aheight said:

Sure, but I find that very unconvincing. If you change one of the limits to 2-2ε it doesn't converge (does it?)

haruspex said:
Sure, but I find that very unconvincing. If you change one of the limits to 2-2ε it doesn't converge (does it?)
It's related to the contour integral of the analytic function and its residue, which is much less arbitrary.

junt said:
That looks totally good. But when I modify my Integrand with different parameters, the same Integral doesn't seem to be Integrable under Cauchy Principal-Value. For instance:

$$2\frac{\exp{(-\frac{1}{4}(-2+u)^2-u^2)}}{|u-2|}$$

This integral doesn't converge in mathematica. Why is it so?

First, realize we are basically looking at a variant of ##\frac{1}{u}##. Basically. And we can integrate this in the principal value sense:

##\text{P.V.} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} 1/u du=0##

That's because the infinities cancel when taking "symmetric limits" ( as ##\epsilon\to 0##). However, when we take the absolute values, the infinities DO NOT cancel.

Edit: Maybe not exactly a variant of 1/u but I think the two are similar qualitatively and looking at 1/u is easier to visualize and easier to understand.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker

1. What is a non-integrable function?

A non-integrable function is a mathematical function that cannot be represented by an integral. This means that it is not possible to find an antiderivative for the function and therefore the area under the curve cannot be calculated using traditional integration methods.

2. How can you identify a non-integrable function?

A non-integrable function can be identified by looking for certain characteristics, such as having a vertical asymptote, infinite limits, or a discontinuity in the function. It may also have a complex or undefined expression within the function.

3. What are some examples of non-integrable functions?

Some examples of non-integrable functions include the inverse trigonometric functions (such as arctan and arcsin), the natural logarithm function, and the square root function. These functions do not have antiderivatives that can be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

4. Can non-integrable functions be integrated using other methods?

Yes, non-integrable functions can sometimes be integrated using techniques such as numerical integration or the method of substitution. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution and may require advanced mathematical tools.

5. Why are non-integrable functions important in mathematics and science?

Non-integrable functions are important because they represent a wide range of mathematical and scientific phenomena that cannot be easily expressed using traditional integration methods. They also provide a challenge for mathematicians and scientists to develop new techniques and tools for solving complex problems.