Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Non-Integrable Function

1. Mar 21, 2017 #1
    Hi All,

I am wondering if the function below is Integrable:

$$\frac{\exp{(-\frac{1}{2}(u-2)^2-2u^2)}}{u-2}$$

When I work it out on computer, the integral is finite from -Inf to Inf. But clearly it has a pole at u=2. Is this pole integrable? If yes, what kind of coordinate transform is required?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

in the vicinity of u=2, the numerator is bounded away from zero. The integral from 2-ε to 2 is -∞, while that from 2 to 2+ε is +∞. Trying to integrate through u=2 might effectively cancel these, leading to an apparently valid result, but it is not valid. -∞+∞ is undefined.

4. Mar 22, 2017 #3
    It is integrable in the Cauchy Principal-Value sense: We take limits:

##\displaystyle\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \big\{\int_{-\infty}^{2-\epsilon} f(u)du+\int_{2+\epsilon}^{\infty}f(u)du\big\}##

We can numerically compute it in Mathematica:
    Code (Text):
    In[104]:=
    NIntegrate[Exp[(-2^(-1))*(u - 2)^2 - 2*u^2]/(u - 2), {u, -Infinity, 2, Infinity}, Method -> PrincipalValue]

Out[104]=

5. Mar 22, 2017 #4

That looks totally good. But when I modify my Integrand with different parameters, the same Integral doesn't seem to be Integrable under Cauchy Principal-Value. For instance:

$$2\frac{\exp{(-\frac{1}{4}(-2+u)^2-u^2)}}{|u-2|}$$

This integral doesn't converge in mathematica. Why is it so?

Code (Text):
    In[104]:=
    NIntegrate[2 Exp[-1/4*(u - 2)^2 - u^2]/Abs[(u - 2)], {u, -Infinity, 2, Infinity}, Method -> PrincipalValue]

Says failed to converge. Isn't it the same type of integral as my original post. I just changed some parameters.

One more thing, I originally had forgotten the absolute value on the denominator. So now, it looks like even my original integrand doesn't converge when I force my denominator to be positive.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. Mar 22, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but I find that very unconvincing. If you change one of the limits to 2-2ε it doesn't converge (does it?)

7. Mar 22, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's related to the contour integral of the analytic function and its residue, which is much less arbitrary.

8. Mar 23, 2017 #7
    First, realize we are basically looking at a variant of ##\frac{1}{u}##. Basically. And we can integrate this in the principal value sense:

##\text{P.V.} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} 1/u du=0##

That's because the infinities cancel when taking "symmetric limits" ( as ##\epsilon\to 0##). However, when we take the absolute values, the infinities DO NOT cancel.

Edit: Maybe not exactly a variant of 1/u but I think the two are similar qualitatively and looking at 1/u is easier to visualize and easier to understand.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted