Non-trivial field limits' equivalence?

In summary, the conversation discussed the properties of a field F(r) with the least symmetry and which obeys the conditions lim F(r) as r --> oo = lim F(r) as r --> 0. The concept of geometric symmetry was brought up and the quantification of symmetry as a metric space was mentioned. The terms "constant magnitude" and "isotropic in direction" were questioned for their meaning in this context. The idea of a "fractal field" with lesser symmetry was also introduced. However, the conversation did not lead to a clear understanding of the topic due to the ambiguity of terms and the lack of a concrete definition for the field and its properties.
Loren Booda
What is the field F(r) with the least symmetry and which obeys

lim F(r) as r --> oo = lim F(r) as r --> 0

?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What sort of symmetry? In what way are you quantifying it?

I thought that the putative field may have a minimal symmetry where r is of constant magnitude and isotropic in direction, but that there might be a fractal field of lesser symmetry that obeys the given conditions. Permit me a modification:

"What is the field F(r) with the least symmetry and which obeys

lim F(r) as r --> oo = lim F(r) as r --> 0

?"

What sort of symmetry? In what way are you quantifying the symmetry?

What do 'constant magnitude', and 'isotropic in direction', or 'fractal fields' mean (in this context, or any context for the last two; isoptropic means 'equal in all directions, so how can anything be isotropic in direction?' )?

Hurkyl,

What sort of symmetry? In what way are you quantifying the symmetry?

Geometric symmetry. I am quantifying the symmetry as a (metric) space.

Matt Grime,

What do 'constant magnitude', and 'isotropic in direction', or 'fractal fields' mean (in this context, or any context for the last two; isoptropic means 'equal in all directions, so how can anything be isotropic in direction?' )?

"Constant magnitude" (which is incorrect; r is variable) and "isotropic in direction" (which is redundant) refer to the radius vector r correctly being "isotropic at every point." By "fractal field" I speculate that the embedded field as defined may not fill the original space at every point.

Yep, that still makes no sense.

How are you defining 'symmetry of a field' to be a vector space? What is a symmetry of a field? (I am asking for your definition, since I don't know that you're using symmetry to mean an automorphism Given your non-standard usage of terms I am assuming not.) How are they, whatever they are, metrized?

It appears r is a vector. You've not said in what vector space? What does it mean for a 'field' to be embedded in a vector space? What is the definition of 'fill' that you're using.

All these questions, and probably more, mean we have no idea what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Thank you for your patience.

Consider a one-dimensional space. Apply the constraint that the assigned value at any point equals the value at a distance from the point approaching infinity. What distribution, with greater complexity than where all values are constant and equal, obeys the constraint? Might a "class" of fractal distributions meet this condition?

You really are not making any sense what-so-ever. Do you understand what a field is? Do you understand that a field does not have a point called infinity, and very few fields have any notion of distance at all? Are you going to answer any of the questions I asked or should I assume I'm wasting my time? I know what answer I'm leaning towards on that one.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time. Apparently I am not as mathematiclly literate as I thought I was. You are right that a field does not have "a point called infinity," a major weakness in my argument. Allow me to retreat and possibly present my repaired premise in the future.

1. What are non-trivial field limits?

Non-trivial field limits refer to the maximum or minimum values that a field can take on in a particular physical system. These limits are often determined by the properties of the system and can have significant effects on its behavior.

2. How are non-trivial field limits related to equivalence?

Non-trivial field limits are related to equivalence through the concept of equivalence classes. In physical systems, different fields can be equivalent to each other if they have the same non-trivial field limits. This means that they exhibit similar behavior and can be described by the same physical laws.

3. Can non-trivial field limits change?

Yes, non-trivial field limits can change in certain situations. For example, in the presence of external forces or interactions, the field limits may shift, leading to changes in the behavior of the system. Additionally, in some cases, field limits can also change due to changes in the properties of the system itself.

4. How do non-trivial field limits affect the behavior of a system?

Non-trivial field limits can have a significant impact on the behavior of a system. They can determine the stability, energy levels, and other properties of the system. In some cases, the field limits may restrict the behavior of the system, while in others, they may allow for a wider range of possible behaviors.

5. How do scientists determine the non-trivial field limits in a physical system?

The determination of non-trivial field limits in a physical system involves a combination of theoretical analysis and experimental measurements. Scientists use mathematical models and equations to predict the behavior of the system and then compare it to experimental data to validate the predicted field limits. This process may involve multiple iterations and refinements to achieve accurate results.