How to solve a Nonhomogeneous differential equation with natural log?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving the equation y''-y'-30y=ln(t) using the method of undetermined coefficients. Different attempts were made, including using the solution returned by Maple, and it was concluded that for non-linear equations, variation of parameters may be necessary. The solution was left in terms of an integral due to the complexity of the equation.
asourpatchkid
y''-y'-30y=ln(t)

My attempt:
i tried to use the method of undetermined coefficients.
y''-y'-30y=ln(t)

Y(t)=A lnt
Y'(t)=A/t
Y''(t)= -A/t^2

I also tried:

Y(t) = A ln(t) + B 1/t + C 1/t^2

now I am stuck...any help??

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you at least solve the homogenous equation ?

Maple returns this solution:

[tex] y^{\prime \prime }-y^{\prime }-30y=\ln x [/tex],

Exact solution is : [tex]y\left( x\right) =-\frac{1}{30}\ln x-\frac{1}{55}e^{-5x}\mbox{Ei}\left( 1,-5x\right) -\allowbreak \frac{1}{66}e^{6x}\mbox{Ei}\left( 1,6x\right) +C_{1}e^{-5x}+C_{2}e^{6x} [/tex]

You can only use "undetermined coefficients" on equations where the right hand side is one of the functions we get as solutions to linear equations with constant coefficients- exponentials, polynomials, sine and cosine, and combinations of those. For other "right hand sides", you will have to use "variation of parameters".

(And, typically, you have to leave the solution in terms of an integral since that usually results in integrals that have no elementary formula.)

all right, i just used the integral. thanks alot!

What is "Nonhomo with natural log"?

Nonhomo with natural log is a statistical method used in scientific research to analyze data with nonhomogeneous variance, or unequal variability among different groups or conditions. This method involves taking the natural logarithm of the data to transform it into a more normally distributed form, allowing for more accurate statistical analysis.

When is "Nonhomo with natural log" used?

Nonhomo with natural log is typically used when the data being analyzed shows unequal variability among different groups or conditions. This can occur in various scientific fields, such as biology, psychology, and economics, and can be caused by a variety of factors.

How does "Nonhomo with natural log" differ from other statistical methods?

Nonhomo with natural log differs from other statistical methods, such as ANOVA or t-tests, in that it takes into account the unequal variability of the data. This allows for more accurate and reliable results, especially when the data does not follow a normal distribution.

What are the advantages of using "Nonhomo with natural log"?

The main advantage of using Nonhomo with natural log is that it allows for more accurate statistical analysis of data with nonhomogeneous variance. This can lead to more reliable conclusions and better understanding of the relationships between variables in a study.

What are the limitations of "Nonhomo with natural log"?

One limitation of Nonhomo with natural log is that it requires a relatively large sample size to produce reliable results. Additionally, the transformation of the data can make it difficult to interpret the results in a meaningful way, especially for non-technical audiences.