Solving Nonlinear Differential Equations

• Thread starter e2m2a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nonlinear
In summary: However, I do not see how this solves the original problem. In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to solve a nonlinear differential equation of the form $$y'' = y + y^2 + y^3$$ such that the dependent variable y can be expressed as a function of time t. The participants discuss using Lagrangian and Hamiltonian analysis, as well as integrating and taking the square root of both sides of the equation, but it is not clear if a solution was found.
e2m2a
Is it possible to solve a nonlinear differential equation of the form below such that the dependent variable y can be expressed as a function of time t?

(second time derivative of y) = y + y squared + y cube

Physics news on Phys.org
$$y'' = y + y^2 + y^3$$

That equation? It's separable and the polynomial isn't of too high a degree. The double integral will make it nasty though so don't expect an explicit function.

Here is how this problem arose. I derived a differential equation using Lagrangian for the following situation:

Imagine a near massless rod of length L with a mass m at the end of the rod. Imagine it is pivoted at one end and has one degree of freedom so that it can rotate in a counter-clockwise direction in a plane perpendicular to the surface of the earth.

At some point in time and at the zero degree position the rod begins to rotate with an initial angular velocity dot theta. Using the Lagrangian, I derived this:

double dot theta = -g/L cos(theta), where g is the gravitational constant.

Now this differential equation does not satisfy what I wanted. I was looking for a way to express dot theta as a function of time. I believe this result would be considered a nonlinear equation. I am not sure if this equation is considered a homogeneous or nonhomogeneous differential equation. Is it true that nonlinear equations are often impossible to solve?

Any way, what we get is the above differential equation that shows the angular acceleration of the mass as a function of theta. By substituting the cos(theta) for a Taylor polynomial series, I was hoping I could get dot theta as a function of time by doing some operations on the Taylor polynomials.

Would this be possible, or would using Hamiltonian analysis give me the desired result, finding an expression of dot theta as a function of time?

You can multiply the equation by y' and integrate wr to time to obtain:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(y')^2=\frac{y^2}{2}+\frac{y^3}{3}+\frac{y^4}{4}+C[/tex]

Then take the square root of both sides to obtain:

[tex]y'=\pm\sqrt{C+y^2+\frac{2y^3}{3}+\frac{y^4}{2}}[/tex]

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You can multiply the equation by y' and integrate wr to time to obtain:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(y')^2=\frac{y^2}{2}+\frac{y^3}{3}+\frac{y^4}{4}+C[/tex]

[tex]y'=\pm\sqrt{C+y^2+\frac{2y^3}{3}+\frac{y^4}{2}}[/tex]

Chet

Sorry, I don't see how you did this and where is the independent variable t in this?

da_nang said:
$$y'' = y + y^2 + y^3$$

That equation? It's separable and the polynomial isn't of too high a degree. The double integral will make it nasty though so don't expect an explicit function.

The term on the left should be a second order derivative of y with respect to time.
I don't know exactly what you mean by a double integral. Do you mean integrate both sides twice-- the left side with respect to y and the right side with respect to t two times?

e2m2a said:
Sorry, I don't see how you did this and where is the independent variable t in this?
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=y+y^2+y^3[/tex]
Multiply both sides of the equation by ##\frac{dy}{dt}##:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=y\frac{dy}{dt}+y^2\frac{dy}{dt}+y^3\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
But,
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dt}\left(\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2\right)[/tex]
So, integrating with respect to t, we obtain:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2=\frac{y^2}{2}+\frac{y^3}{3}
+\frac{y^4}{4}+C[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\pm\sqrt{C+y^2+\frac{2y^3}{3}+\frac{y^4}{2}}[/tex]

Chet

Chestermiller said:
[tex]\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=y+y^2+y^3[/tex]
Multiply both sides of the equation by ##\frac{dy}{dt}##:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=y\frac{dy}{dt}+y^2\frac{dy}{dt}+y^3\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]
But,
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dt}\left(\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2\right)[/tex]
So, integrating with respect to t, we obtain:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right)^2=\frac{y^2}{2}+\frac{y^3}{3}
+\frac{y^4}{4}+C[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=\pm\sqrt{C+y^2+\frac{2y^3}{3}+\frac{y^4}{2}}[/tex]

Chet

Thank you for the explanation.

1. What are nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations are mathematical equations that involve variables and their derivatives, where the relationship between the variables is not proportional. This means that the rate of change of the variables is not constant and can vary based on the values of the variables.

2. Why are nonlinear differential equations difficult to solve?

Nonlinear differential equations are difficult to solve because they do not have a general solution like linear differential equations. This means that each specific equation must be solved individually, often using numerical or approximate methods.

3. What methods can be used to solve nonlinear differential equations?

There are several methods that can be used to solve nonlinear differential equations, including numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods. Other methods include power series solutions, perturbation methods, and phase plane analysis.

4. What are some real-world applications of solving nonlinear differential equations?

Nonlinear differential equations have numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering, including modeling population growth, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in financial modeling and predicting complex systems such as weather patterns and stock market trends.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in solving nonlinear differential equations?

One major limitation in solving nonlinear differential equations is the lack of a general solution, which means that each equation must be solved individually. This can be time-consuming and require advanced mathematical skills. Additionally, some equations may have no analytical solution and can only be solved using numerical methods. Nonlinear differential equations can also exhibit chaotic behavior, making it difficult to predict their solutions accurately.