Nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series?

In summary: However, if individual series springs are allowed to reach their end-stops, it seems a good way of tailoring a nonlinear response. Rather like the log-amp in electronics.In summary, the individual springs will create a nonlinear response, but it will be tailored to the user's needs by allowing the individual springs to reach their end-stops.
MechaNick
Can I create a nonlinear spring, for a nonlinear oscillator, by putting many linear springs in series and parallel?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Since each spring has linear response, the overall response will be linear.

Likes tech99 and MechaNick
However, if individual series springs are allowed to reach their end-stops, it seems a good way of tailoring a non linear response. Rather like the log-amp in electronics.

• Informative
Likes MechaNick and berkeman
So individual springs must reach a full compression? So eben the cone-shaped springs are only nonlinear if compressed maximally?

You may find nonlinearities even without hard stops. But the actual nature of the nonlinearity would depend strongly on the shape and the materials. It would be hard to say anything general about them.

So if you want to make a nonlinear spring with specified properties, that is not much help.

Likes MechaNick
Is it really that complex? I mean it is true that nonlinearities are mathematically tedious and often almost unsolvable, but aren't there any experiences or rough maths for something like this? The basic problem is how must a spring look in order to create an anharmonic oscillator?

MechaNick said:
Summary:: Nonlinear spring by creating different springs a at different ks?

Can I create a nonlinear spring, for a nonlinear oscillator
I did a Google search on nonlinear spring and got several good hits, including this one:

https://www.acxesspring.com/non-linear-springs.html

1621106138376.png

1621106158814.png

1621106176470.png

Likes Lnewqban
Yes, but they are exactly representing the model I posed. It is a series of springs. And they must block in order to become nonlinear.

Likes tech99
I mean, in reality, most springs will be non-linear. It is just that those non-linearities are usually assumed to be small and often are to good approximation.

Yes, it is said that all oscillators are probably containing some nonlinearity. But the thing is that they aren't measurable until one reaches a certain amplitude. In order to reduce that amplitude I thought I can create a cone shaped spring analogy by putting several linear springs in series. Like this:
Nichtlineare Feder(ReihenschaltungLinearerFedern.png
Nichtlineare Feder(ReihenschaltungLinearerFedern.png

1. What is a nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series?

A nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series is a type of mechanical spring that is designed to have a non-linear relationship between force and displacement. This means that the amount of force required to compress or extend the spring will not be directly proportional to the amount of displacement.

2. How is a nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series different from a traditional linear spring?

A traditional linear spring has a linear relationship between force and displacement, meaning that the amount of force required to compress or extend the spring is directly proportional to the amount of displacement. A nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series, on the other hand, has a non-linear relationship between force and displacement, allowing for a wider range of force and displacement values.

3. What are the benefits of using a nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series?

One of the main benefits of using a nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series is that it can provide a more customized and precise response to different levels of force and displacement. This can be particularly useful in applications where a specific force or displacement is needed, such as in shock absorbers or suspension systems.

4. How is a nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series designed?

A nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series is designed by combining multiple linear springs with different stiffness values in series. This allows for a more complex force-displacement relationship to be achieved, as the stiffness of each individual spring can be adjusted to create the desired response.

5. What are some common applications of a nonlinear spring made from many different linear springs in series?

Nonlinear springs made from many different linear springs in series are commonly used in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, and manufacturing. Some specific applications include shock absorbers, vibration isolation systems, and pressure release valves.