Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Norm of a linear transformation

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ||T|| = {max|T(x)| : |x|<=1} show this is equivalent to ||T|| = {max|T(x)| : |x| = 1}

3. The attempt at a solution

{max |T(x)| : x<=1} = {max ||x|| ||T(x/||x||)|| : |x|<=1} <= {max ||T(x)|| : |x| = 1}

does that look right? I need to show equality...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2

radou

Homework Helper

I assume you are speaking of a bounded linear transformation?

If T is bounded, then there exists some constant C so that ||Tx||<=C||x|| for all x from the domain of T, and it follows almost directly from this definition.

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    You're on the right track. What is the relation between the vector [tex]Tx[/tex] and the vector [tex]T\left(\frac{x}{\|x\|}\right)[/tex] ?

5. Jan 27, 2010 #4
    I don't know that T is bounded...T is on R^n

Tx >= T(x/||x||)

6. Jan 27, 2010 #5
    [tex]Tx[/tex] and [tex]T\left(\frac{x}{\|x\|}\right)[/tex] are vectors in the range space of [tex]T[/tex]; they do not possess an order relation. The relationship between these two vectors is simpler, and follows directly from the definition of a linear transformation.

7. Jan 27, 2010 #6

(1/||x|| ) Tx = T(x/||x||)

8. Jan 27, 2010 #7

Landau

Science Advisor

Exactly, by linearity! So, what can you conclude? Try to think a bit for yourself.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook