Normal force of weight on the ground

In summary, the normal downwards force on an object when standing on flat ground is always equal to its weight, except when jumping or landing from a fall. On an inclined slope, the normal force will balance some component of gravity. In an elevator, the normal downwards force on the floor will be equal to the object's weight plus any additional force from acceleration. Newton's 3rd Law states that the upwards force on the body from the elevator floor is equal to the downwards force on the elevator floor from the body. However, this does not mean that the normal downwards force is always equal to the object's weight, as the apparent weight may be different due to acceleration.
sgstudent

Homework Statement

[STRIKE][/STRIKE]
If we are simply standing on the ground will our normal force be always equal to our weight besides when we are jumping or when we land on the ground from a fall?
When we are in an elevator, will the normal downwards force on the floor be of our weight (cancelling out our the extra force acted to allow us the gain an acceleration?
Eg I am 10kg and I move up with acceleration of 5m/s^2. Net force=upwards-normal downwards force=upwards-100N=50N. So upwards force is 150N and hence normal downwards force is 150N as well? In other words, the normal downwards force is always equal to weight?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think so, because if we look at the free body diagram (FBD) of me. I have 100N of force acting downwards (weight) but since I have a net force of 50N, so I need 150N of upwards force to counter the 100N of force. So in essence, the normal downwards force can be evaluated by the object's (in this case myself) motion? So for another example, when jumping I experience 10N net force, so my normal downwards force will be my weight plus the additional 10N of force. Totalling to 110N? Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic is correct. When you accelerate upward, the floor gets your normal weight plus ma. You could verify all of that with a bathroom scale. When jumping off it, though, be gentle, because the acceleration during a jump is rather big, but brief. Having a video camera capturing the indicator of the scale would be helpful.

If we are simply standing on the ground will our normal force be always equal to our weight besides when we are jumping or when we land on the ground from a fall?

On flat ground yes, but if you are on an inclined slope, then your normal force will balance some component of gravity. When you land on your feet onto flat ground from a fall, you experience a relatively large stopping force upwards from the ground. If you could measure this with sensitive equipment, your weight would appear to increase.

Last edited:
Thanks, I guess we can just use the forces shown on our own body to answer the forces acting on the stuff below us if the plane of contact is the ground eg jumping. Is this right? Thanks again :)

sgstudent said:
When we are in an elevator, will the normal downwards force on the floor be of our weight (cancelling out our the extra force acted to allow us the gain an acceleration?
Eg I am 10kg and I move up with acceleration of 5m/s^2. Net force=upwards-normal downwards force=upwards-100N=50N. So upwards force is 150N and hence normal downwards force is 150N as well? In other words, the normal downwards force is always equal to weight?
For clarification, the upwards force on your body from the elevator floor (the normal force) is 150 N, and the downwards force on the elevator floor from your body is also 150 N , from Newton's 3rd Law. So why do you say the the normal downwards force is always equal to your weight? Your weight is only 100N. The 150 N is sometimes called your 'apparent' weight, but your true weight is still 100N.

What is the normal force of weight on the ground?

The normal force of weight on the ground is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the object, and it is what keeps the object from falling through the surface.

How is the normal force of weight on the ground calculated?

The normal force of weight on the ground is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This is because the normal force is directly proportional to the weight of the object, which is determined by its mass and the force of gravity acting on it.

What factors can affect the normal force of weight on the ground?

The normal force of weight on the ground can be affected by the mass of the object, the force of gravity acting on the object, and the angle of the surface on which the object is placed. For example, a heavier object will exert a greater normal force on the ground compared to a lighter object, and a surface with a steeper incline will exert a greater normal force compared to a flat surface.

Is the normal force of weight on the ground always equal to the weight of the object?

In most cases, the normal force of weight on the ground is equal to the weight of the object. However, if the object is accelerating or decelerating, the normal force may be different from the weight of the object. This is because the normal force is also affected by the net force acting on the object, which includes any additional forces like friction or air resistance.

How does the normal force of weight on the ground affect objects in motion?

The normal force of weight on the ground plays a crucial role in the motion of objects. It is responsible for providing the necessary force to counteract the weight of the object and keep it in equilibrium. Without the normal force, objects would either sink into the ground or float away due to the force of gravity. Additionally, changes in the normal force can affect the acceleration or deceleration of objects as they move along a surface.