Normal Random Variable Probability

In summary, to determine the probability from |X-80| <= 10, we can standardize the equation to -10 <= (X-80) <= 10, which gives us -1 <= Z <= 1. We also know that P(Z<-1) = P(Z>1) due to symmetry. Solving for P(70 <= X <= 90) and standardizing it to get -0.6826, we can calculate the final probability of 0.6826.
needhelp83
If X is a normal rv with mean 80 and standard deviation 10, compute the following probabilities by standardizing:

P(|X-80| <= 10)

I know how to determine the probability without absolute value, but this confuses me. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
From |X-80| <= 10, you can get -10 <= (X-80) <= 10, -1 <= Z <= 1
We also know that P(Z<-1) = P(Z>1) due to symmetry. Hope that helps.

Fightfish said:
From |X-80| <= 10, you can get -10 <= (X-80) <= 10, -1 <= Z <= 1
We also know that P(Z<-1) = P(Z>1) due to symmetry. Hope that helps.

I do understand partially. I remember this from just basic algebra. Afterwards, would I solve for P(70 <= X <= 90) where I added 80 to both sides?

needhelp83 said:
I do understand partially. I remember this from just basic algebra. Afterwards, would I solve for P(70 <= X <= 90) where I added 80 to both sides?
Yup.

Ok I am not getting this to work out correctly:

P(|X-80|) [tex]\leq[/tex] 10)

P(-10 [tex]\leq[/tex] X-80 [tex]\leq[/tex] 10)

P( [tex]\frac{-10-80}{10}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] Z [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{10-80}{10}[/tex])

-9 [tex]\leq[/tex] Z [tex]\leq[/tex] -7

Ok, so these aren't on the Z table, so I am definitely not doing something right. What am I now missing? The 80 is my mean and 10 is my s.d.

[tex]Z = \frac{X-\mu}{\sigma}[/tex]
Check your standardisation.

P(-10 [tex]\leq[/tex] X-80 [tex]\leq[/tex] 10)

P (70 [tex]\leq[/tex] X [tex]\leq[/tex] 90)

P ([tex]\frac{70-80}{10}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] Z [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\frac{90-80}{10}[/tex])

.1587-.8413 = -0.6826

I am funny! What a silly mistake. Should be right now!

Check your final calculation - you have a glaring error.

statdad said:
Check your final calculation - you have a glaring error.

Wow, this problem kicked my butt!

ANSWER IS:
0.8413 - 0.1587 =0.6826

Thanks for the help guys!

1. What is a normal random variable?

A normal random variable is a type of continuous probability distribution that is often used in statistics. It is also known as a Gaussian distribution and is characterized by a bell-shaped curve. It is commonly used to model real-world phenomena such as height, weight, and test scores.

2. How is a normal random variable different from other types of random variables?

A normal random variable is different from other types of random variables in that it is continuous, meaning it can take on any value within a specific range. Other types of random variables, such as discrete random variables, can only take on certain values.

3. What is the importance of the mean and standard deviation in a normal random variable?

The mean and standard deviation are important parameters in a normal random variable because they determine the shape and location of the bell-shaped curve. The mean is the center of the curve and the standard deviation controls the spread of the curve. Together, these parameters provide important information about the distribution of the data.

4. How is the probability of a normal random variable calculated?

The probability of a normal random variable is calculated using a formula called the probability density function (PDF). This formula takes into account the mean, standard deviation, and the specific value of the random variable to determine the likelihood of that value occurring in the distribution.

5. What is the central limit theorem and how does it relate to normal random variables?

The central limit theorem states that the sum of a large number of independent and identically distributed random variables will tend towards a normal distribution, regardless of the underlying distribution of the individual variables. This means that many real-world phenomena can be approximated by a normal random variable, making it a useful tool in statistics and data analysis.