1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normal random variables (2nd)

1. Mar 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let X be a standard normal random variable. Calculate E(XcosX), E(sinX), and [tex]E\left(\frac{X}{1+X^{2}}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea where to start with this. I am not seeing any connection between it and the chapter reading/examples. Can someone show me how to start on one of them. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2009 #2
    Why not start by writing down what E(X cos X) means from the definition of expected value.

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    Well, I know that the expected value is the mean, or average, of the possible answers. I also know that xcosx creates a graph that is symmetrically when turned at a 180 degree angle around 0. This tells me that there are positive and negative values that offset each other leaving the answer to be 0. I know that sinx does the same thing, with offsetting values leaving the average of 0. I know that the third equation does the same thing, where 1 offsets -1, 2 offsets -2, and so forth, again leaving 0. So know the expected value of all three equations is 0 from an ability to reason that it is so. But I am not sure how to go about calculating the values as the problem wants me to do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook