Why Does Normalizing ψ(x,t) Result in Ae^(-2λ|x|)?

In summary, the problem involves finding the wave function ψ(x,t) and normalizing it, but the main focus is on understanding why the function simplifies to Ae^(-2λ|x|). The solution involves using the complex conjugate of the function and simplifying the exponentials. Eventually, the function simplifies to e^(-2λ|x|) which helps with normalization.
Gemini_Cricket

Homework Statement

ψ(x,t) = Ae^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt)

This is a rather long problem so I won't get into the details. I understand how to normalize, and most of the rest of the problem. I also have the solutions manual. I just need an explanation of why this goes to Ae^(-2λ|x|). I can't figure it out.

Homework Equations

I can't think of any that make sense to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is because you can add the powers of exponentials, such that e^(x)e^(x) = e^(2x). I do not understand how you can just get rid of the imaginary, angular frequency, or time parts...

Any explanation would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gemini_Cricket said:

Homework Statement

ψ(x,t) = Ae^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt)

This is a rather long problem so I won't get into the details. I understand how to normalize, and most of the rest of the problem. I also have the solutions manual. I just need an explanation of why this goes to Ae^(-2λ|x|). I can't figure it out.

Homework Equations

I can't think of any that make sense to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is because you can add the powers of exponentials, such that e^(x)e^(x) = e^(2x). I do not understand how you can just get rid of the imaginary, angular frequency, or time parts...

Any explanation would be great.

It's because to normalize you need to integrate ψψ*, the wave function times its complex conjugate. The complex conjugate of e^(-iωt) is e^(iωt). e^(-iωt)*e^(iωt)=e^0=1.

Ah okay. I had thought it might have something to do with the complex conjugate.

So for the complex conjugate you just get...

e^(-λ|x|)*e^(-λ|x|) = e^(-2λ|x|)

Last edited:
Gemini_Cricket said:
Ah okay. I had thought it might have something to do with the complex conjugate.

So for the complex conjugate you just get...

e^(-λ|x|)*e^(-λ|x|) = e^(-2λ|x|)

Sure.

Normalizing a wave function is the process of adjusting the amplitude of the wave function so that the total probability of finding the particle in any location is equal to 1. This is important because it ensures that the wave function accurately represents the physical system it is describing.

In this case, the wave function given is ψ(x,t) = Ae^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt). In order to normalize this, we must first determine the value of A. This can be done by integrating the square of the wave function over all space, as shown below:

∫|ψ(x,t)|^2 dx = ∫|Ae^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt)|^2 dx

= |A|^2∫e^(-2λ|x|) dx

= |A|^2 * 1/(-2λ) * [e^(-2λ|x|)] from -∞ to ∞

= |A|^2 * 1/(-2λ) * [e^(-∞) - e^(∞)]

= |A|^2 * 1/(-2λ) * [0 - 0]

= 0

Since the integral must be equal to 1, we can set |A|^2 * 1/(-2λ) = 1 and solve for A:

|A|^2 * 1/(-2λ) = 1

|A|^2 = 2λ

|A| = √(2λ)

Therefore, the normalized wave function is given by:

ψ(x,t) = (√(2λ))e^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt)

= Ae^(-2λ|x|)e^(-iωt)

This is why the normalized wave function has a coefficient of Ae^(-2λ|x|) instead of Ae^(-λ|x|). The imaginary, angular frequency, and time parts are not affected by the normalization process, as they do not affect the overall probability of finding the particle. They only determine the phase and behavior of the wave function. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your understanding.

Related to Why Does Normalizing ψ(x,t) Result in Ae^(-2λ|x|)?

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a wave function?

The purpose of normalizing a wave function is to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in any location within a given space is equal to 1. This is necessary because the wave function represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a given state, and it should not exceed a value of 1.

2. How is a wave function normalized?

A wave function is normalized by dividing it by its own norm, which is the square root of the integral of the square of the wave function over all possible positions. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1.

3. Why is normalizing a wave function important?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the probability of finding a particle in a given state. It also ensures that the wave function satisfies the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as the conservation of probability.

4. Can any wave function be normalized?

Yes, any wave function can be normalized as long as it satisfies certain mathematical conditions. For example, the wave function must be square integrable, meaning that the integral of the square of the wave function over all possible positions must be finite.

5. What happens if a wave function is not normalized?

If a wave function is not normalized, it means that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is not equal to 1. This can lead to incorrect calculations and violate the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. Therefore, it is important to always normalize a wave function before using it in calculations.