• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Normalizing a Wave Function

Homework Statement

ψ(x,t) = Ae^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt)

This is a rather long problem so I won't get into the details. I understand how to normalize, and most of the rest of the problem. I also have the solutions manual. I just need an explanation of why this goes to Ae^(-2λ|x|). I can't figure it out.

Homework Equations

I can't think of any that make sense to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is because you can add the powers of exponentials, such that e^(x)e^(x) = e^(2x). I do not understand how you can just get rid of the imaginary, angular frequency, or time parts...

Any explanation would be great.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

ψ(x,t) = Ae^(-λ|x|)e^(-iωt)

This is a rather long problem so I won't get into the details. I understand how to normalize, and most of the rest of the problem. I also have the solutions manual. I just need an explanation of why this goes to Ae^(-2λ|x|). I can't figure it out.

Homework Equations

I can't think of any that make sense to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe it is because you can add the powers of exponentials, such that e^(x)e^(x) = e^(2x). I do not understand how you can just get rid of the imaginary, angular frequency, or time parts...

Any explanation would be great.
It's because to normalize you need to integrate ψψ*, the wave function times its complex conjugate. The complex conjugate of e^(-iωt) is e^(iωt). e^(-iωt)*e^(iωt)=e^0=1.

Ah okay. I had thought it might have something to do with the complex conjugate.

So for the complex conjugate you just get...

e^(-λ|x|)*e^(-λ|x|) = e^(-2λ|x|)

Last edited:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ah okay. I had thought it might have something to do with the complex conjugate.

So for the complex conjugate you just get...

e^(-λ|x|)*e^(-λ|x|) = e^(-2λ|x|)
Sure.