NOT A HWK QUESTION Molecular Theory PLEASE.

In summary, the conversation discusses a quote from Francis Bacon about his experiments with water and compression. The conversation clarifies that Bacon did not see water diffuse through metal, but rather saw it spray out of a fissure. It also mentions that Bacon did not know about atoms and that his experiment was a demonstration of the compressibility of water. The conversation ends with a humorous comment about using glass for submarines.
ethan5
NOT A HWK QUESTION! Molecular Theory PLEASE.

Hi, Does anyone know the veracity of the quotation of experiments by Francis Bacon, in some books published around the turn of 20C., stating that he filled metal spheres with water and, upon applying sufficient pressure, saw water droplets on the outside of the spheres indicating that the water molecules came through between the metal particles - so there are spaces between the metal atoms. It's interesting to read book like 'Heat considered as a mode of motion' as recommended by Clerk Maxwell or Millikan. Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

That's not what Bacon wrote. Quoting the Novum Organum:
Now it is certain that the rarer bodies (such as air) allow a considerable degree of contraction, as has been stated, but that tangible bodies (such as water) suffer compression with much greater difficulty and to a lesser extent. How far they do suffer it I have investigated in the following experiment. I had a hollow globe of lead made, capable of holding about two pints, and sufficiently thick to bear considerable force. Having made a hole in it, I filled it with water and then stopped up the hole with melted lead, so that the globe became quite solid. I then flattened two opposite sides of the globe with a heavy hammer, by which the water was necessarily contracted into less space, a sphere being the figure of largest capacity. And when the hammering had no more effect in making the water shrink, I made use of a mill or press, till the water, impatient of further pressure, exuded through the solid lead like a fine dew. I then computed the space lost by the compression and concluded that this was the extent of compression which the water had suffered, but only when constrained by great violence.

He didn't see the water diffuse through the metal, he saw the water spray out of a fissure. Water doesn't diffuse through metal. (Nor did he know anything about atoms, which came centuries later)

What he did do, was an excellent demonstration of the compressibility of water, which is what he intended to study.

If water could diffuse through metals, it would be a sad, sad story for submarines.

alxm said:
That's not what Bacon wrote. Quoting the Novum Organum:

He didn't see the water diffuse through the metal, he saw the water spray out of a fissure. Water doesn't diffuse through metal. (Nor did he know anything about atoms, which came centuries later)

What he did do, was an excellent demonstration of the compressibility of water, which is what he intended to study.

Thank you for your excellent reply. I've got to be careful!

Mentallic said:
If water could diffuse through metals, it would be a sad, sad story for submarines.

No Gortex Submarines in the future then? LOL

sophiecentaur said:
No Gortex Submarines in the future then? LOL

I guess we could even use glass then, for the viewing pleasure :wink:

Related to NOT A HWK QUESTION Molecular Theory PLEASE.

1. What is molecular theory?

Molecular theory is a scientific theory that explains the physical and chemical properties of matter at a molecular level. It describes how atoms and molecules interact with each other to form different substances and how these interactions influence the behavior and properties of matter.

2. What are the main principles of molecular theory?

The main principles of molecular theory include the concept of atoms and molecules as the basic units of matter, the idea of chemical bonding between atoms to form molecules, and the understanding of how molecules behave in different states of matter (solid, liquid, and gas).

3. How does molecular theory help in understanding the nature of substances?

Molecular theory provides a framework for understanding the behavior and properties of substances at a molecular level. It helps scientists predict and explain the physical and chemical properties of different substances, such as their melting and boiling points, solubility, and reactivity.

4. What are some practical applications of molecular theory?

Molecular theory has numerous practical applications in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology. It is the basis for many industrial processes, such as the production of medicines, plastics, and fuels. It also helps in the development of new materials, understanding biological processes, and designing new technologies.

5. How has molecular theory evolved over time?

Molecular theory has evolved significantly since its inception in the 19th century. With advancements in technology and scientific techniques, scientists have been able to further explore and understand the complex nature of atoms and molecules. This has led to the development of more sophisticated theories, such as quantum mechanics, which have greatly enhanced our understanding of the molecular world.