Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not closed linear subspace

1. Jan 17, 2008 #1

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What would be an example of a not (topologically) closed subspace of a normed space?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2

Consider the space of continuous functions f:[0,1]->R with the supremum norm
    [itex]\Vert f\Vert=\sup |f(x)|[/itex]. This is a normed vector space (in fact, a Banach space). The subspace of differentiable functions is not closed.

That's not a linear subspace though.
  4. Jan 17, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

the linear span of a complete orthonormal set in hilbert space. it is dense, since all vectors are infinite series expansions of the, but not closed since not all vecors are finite linear combinations.

i.e. a hilbert basis is an o.n. set whose span is dense.
  5. Jan 17, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or the set of indefinitely differentiable functions with compact support defined on R as a subset of L^p(R). It is a proper subspace and it is dense, therefor it is not closed.

I get the idea, thanks!
  6. Mar 14, 2010 #5
    why the space of diffrental function not closed help me pleas quakly
  7. Mar 14, 2010 #6
    Because you can find an example of a sequence of differentiable functions that converge uniformly to a non-differentiable function.
  8. Mar 15, 2010 #7
    Simply take the space X of integrable functions on [0,1], equipped with the L_1 norm, and consider the subspace Y of continuous functions on [0,1]: one can find a Cauchy sequence of functions in Y whose limit is integrable but discontinuous, and is hence no longer in Y.
  9. Mar 15, 2010 #8
    pleas give me eaxample
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?