Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Not sure what the initial temperature is

1. Mar 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At what temperature will aluminum have a resistivity that is three times the resistivity of tungsten at room temperature?

Rt=5.6 X 10^-8 ohm*m (The resistivity coefficient of tungsten at 20 degrees celcius)
    R0=1.59 x 10^-8 ohm*m (The resistivity coefficient of silver at 20 degrees celcius)
    α =3.9 X 10^-3 degrees celsius ^- 1 (Temperature coefficient of resistivity for aluminum)

ΔT= Tf-Ti

I am not sure what the initial temperature is, I assume its 20 degrees celcius.

2. Relevant equations
    Rt = R0 * ( 1 + α * ΔT)

3. The attempt at a solution

3Rt = R0 * ( 1 + α * ΔT)

I get 11.42 degrees celsius which is wrong?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2010 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Re: Resistivity

Could you please define each of the terms that you're using, and include units on everything?

4. Mar 4, 2010 #3

Sorry edited

5. Mar 5, 2010 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

That helps, but you define Rt as two different things (a bit confusing), and the units of resistivity are not Ohm/m.

Does the problem define "room temperature"? 20C is a little low for the room temperature number that I usually use...

6. Mar 5, 2010 #5

Ok Thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook