What Are the SI Units of the Gravitational Constant in Newton's Law?

• Thread starter RCAF91
  • Start date
In summary, Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that the force of gravity between two objects depends on their masses and the distance between them, and can be described by the equation Fg = G(M1)(M2) / D^2. The constant of universal gravitation (G) must carry units of Newton-meter squared per kilogram squared for the equation to be dimensionally valid. This can be determined using dimensional analysis, taking into account the SI units of force (Newton), mass (kilogram), and distance (meter).
RCAF91
Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that the magnitude of the force of gravity (Fg) between any two objects in the universe depends on the mass of each object (M1 and M2) as well as the distance (D) between them. The equation to describe this functional relationship is given by:

Fg = G(M1)(M2) / D^2

where G is a constant called the "constant of universal gravitation"

Use dimensional analysis to determine what SI units the constant of universal gravitation must carry for Newton's equation to be dimensionally valid.

In the case of this question, would anyone be able to show me what they are looking for? Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to physics forums.

The problem is asking you for the units of [itex]G[/itex]. What do the units of [itex]G[/itex] need to be so that the units of [itex]G\frac{M_1M_2}{D^2}[/itex] are Newtons? (because the SI unit of force is the Newton)

Nathanael said:
Welcome to physics forums.

The problem is asking you for the units of [itex]G[/itex]. What do the units of [itex]G[/itex] need to be so that the units of [itex]G\frac{M_1M_2}{D^2}[/itex] are Newtons? (because the SI unit of force is the Newton)

Would you mind explaining the steps on how to reach the answer? I'm still a bit unsure how you determine this given the variables.

M is mass. What are the units of mass? Can you take it from there?

Figured it out, thanks.

What does "Not sure what this question is looking for?" mean?

"Not sure what this question is looking for?" is a statement that indicates confusion or uncertainty about the intended meaning or purpose of a question.

Why is it important to understand the meaning of a question?

Understanding the meaning of a question is important because it allows you to provide an accurate and relevant response. It also helps to clarify any confusion or misunderstandings about the topic being discussed.

How can I determine the meaning of a question?

You can determine the meaning of a question by carefully reading and analyzing the words and context of the question. It may also be helpful to ask for clarification if you are unsure about the intended meaning.

What should I do if I am still unsure about the meaning of a question?

If you are still unsure about the meaning of a question, it is best to ask for clarification from the person who asked the question. This will ensure that you provide an accurate and relevant response.

Can misunderstanding a question affect the outcome of a scientific study?

Yes, misunderstanding a question can greatly affect the outcome of a scientific study. Inaccurate or irrelevant responses can lead to incorrect conclusions and undermine the validity of the study's findings.