1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure where to go after high school?

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    Hey, I can't decide on what I should go to university for after high school. I enjoy maths and sciences, but I also enjoy the human body (eg. kinesiology). I guess what I'm asking is what kind of jobs could I get in maths or sciences, and possibly what degree that would be if possible. Also, I'm Canadian, if that changes any possible degrees.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2
    If you want to apply science in your job you should consider going for engineering. Your job prospects will be a lot better with an engineering degree than with a degree in a pure science or math, unless you get a graduate degree.

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

As timsea says, engineering is a good field to go into if you enjoy technical things (math and science), and want to have good job prospects after you graduate.

But also, if you think you might enjoy the medical field, I'd encourage you to think about a career in medicine. My first love was physics, but I decided to get my degrees in EE for job security reasons. Now later in my career, I've found that I enjoy patient contacts, and have become an EMT part time. I think if I had it all to do over again, I might have applied to medical school. A good friend of mine from graduate EE school later became a doctor, which he said was always his first interest.

Are you certified in CPR/AED/First Aid? Are there any events near you that ask for medical volunteers? Often large runs or triathlons or charity events will have a medical staff, and they are always looking for volunteers. With just a basic CPR/FA background, you will only be helping with general care tasks, but it's a good way to start to get some patient contacts to see if you like them or not. If you find that you don't enjoy working with folks who can sometimes be very challenging to deal with (but who really do need your help), then medicine is probably not for you. But if you find real rewards in being able to help folks out when they need it most, then you might consider getting your EMT on the side, so that you can get more patient contacts, and help you decide between engineering and medicine.

Enjoy the ride either way! :biggrin:

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    Try out biomechanical engineering. It's a cross between biology and mechanical engineering. It's not offered as a "major" but it's an upcoming field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook