Not sure where to go from here

• Thread starter couldbeworse
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is majoring in mathematics, mathematical physics, and mathematical statistics, but is unsure why they are doing it. They enjoy learning these subjects, but do not see themselves pursuing a career in them. They believe mathematical statistics is useful for any career and enjoy the problem-solving aspect of physics. They are not confident in their abilities compared to their peers and wish they could continue learning in college. The speaker also mentions the idea of early retirement and living a more fulfilling life by saving and being financially independent. They suggest auditing classes and solving problems for fun instead of being stuck in the "rat race" of working until retirement.
couldbeworse
I'm majoring in mathematics, mathematical physics, and mathematical statistics. Aside from the fact that I'm triple majoring for the cost of one major and two minors (an example of my school not being good at organizing course requirements), I don't know why I'm doing any of this.

The fact of the matter is that I don't think I want to do math beyond analysis EVER as a job. Abstract algebra, topology... they're really, really fun to learn, but not fun at all to do repeatedly, if that makes any sense. In fact, I'm only a math major because I think it's fun to LEARN. Not so much to spend my life doing. It's like someone who's only taking the course to enjoy the "popular science" part of it, but finds regular popular science to lack sufficient rigor.

As for mathematical statistics, I think it is an incredibly useful skill no matter what I do in life. Much like how people exercise despite not liking it, I choose to major in mathematical statistics. Also, statistics is not too bad; it ties really well into modeling systems, a type of problem solving I always found really cool about quantitative courses in general.

Now, physics is the kind of problem solving I like. You know, build models and stuff. Especially statistical mechanics. That **** was awesome. And I really do enjoy learning it--but, again, as a more rigorous form of popular science.

I'd like to note that I'm not good at all at any of these fields. Hell, I'm probably dumber than all my peers in these fields. The only reason why I'm getting better grades is that I'm studying significantly more. And that I have a good memory. I tend not to forget about anything I learn. That said, my problem solving skills (out of the box, without studying) are **** compared to my peers. You know www.math.stackexchange.com? I can't do any of the questions with bounties, because they're the ones that actually test real problem solving, not regurgitating what you've learned in textbooks.

The one class I really found I enjoyed was a harder, more rigorous form of game theory I took a short while ago. That was the funnest subject and class I have ever taken. Too late to switch my majors, though. :(

I don't know what to do after college. Finance? Prolonged working on mundane stuff literally makes me feel terrible. Academics? Can't compete with the brainpower of my peers. If only I could stay in college and just learn everything else.

Physics news on Phys.org
couldbeworse said:
I don't know what to do after college. Finance? Prolonged working on mundane stuff literally makes me feel terrible. Academics? Can't compete with the brainpower of my peers. If only I could stay in college and just learn everything else.

Ok, I'm going to get up on my soapbox and talk about early retirement again.

Growing up and throughout college I struggled with what to specialize in because I thought "hey, I'm going to be doing this for the rest of my life until I retire at 65+ so I better love it."

WRONG. The average worker today starts out with this mindset and does in fact end up spending about as much as they are earning, consequently working the rat race until they are too old to do it anymore. Luckily, there is a much, much more wonderful alternative...

Wake the F*$% up and realize that probably 90% of your spending does not contribute to your happiness in any meaningful way! Instead, drastically increase your savings rate to the point that your savings passively generate your living expenses and WHAM, you're financially independent in 5 or 10 years. Congrats, you now have the freedom to wake up every morning and do what you want with your life.

In your case, audit every class in your local university that sounds interesting. Solve problems that look fun to you.

My point is that you're going to have a lot of marketable skills and if you can put some of them to use for a relatively short period of time, you can just be a professional student for the rest of your life.

This is the blog that opened my eyes: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/04/08/mr-money-mustaches-own-story/
Guy was a mid-range software engineer for 5 or 6 years, then retired right before his first kid was born.

Last edited:

1. What steps should I take when I am not sure where to go from here?

When you are feeling unsure about your next steps, the first thing you should do is take a step back and assess your current situation. Reflect on your goals, strengths, and resources. Then, make a plan and set achievable short-term goals that will help guide you towards a clearer direction.

2. How can I figure out my passions and interests to determine my next steps?

To figure out your passions and interests, you can try exploring different activities, taking personality or interest assessments, and talking to people who know you well. Additionally, reflecting on past experiences and what has brought you joy and fulfillment can also help you identify your passions and interests.

3. What resources are available to help me decide on my next steps?

There are many resources available to help you decide on your next steps. These can include career counselors, mentors, online career assessments, self-help books, and networking events. It is important to research and utilize these resources to gain a better understanding of your options and make informed decisions.

4. Is it okay to change my mind about my next steps?

Yes, it is completely okay to change your mind about your next steps. It is natural for people to evolve and their interests and goals to change over time. Making a decision and then realizing it may not be the best fit is a normal part of the process. It is important to be open to making adjustments and being flexible in your journey.

5. How can I overcome fear and uncertainty when deciding on my next steps?

Fear and uncertainty are common when making decisions about your future. To overcome these feelings, it can be helpful to talk to someone you trust, such as a friend or mentor, and seek their advice. Additionally, try to focus on the present moment and take small steps towards your goals. Remind yourself of your strengths and past successes, and trust in yourself and your abilities to navigate through challenges.