Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not the chocolate too!

1. Nov 13, 2006 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was one thing when it was just spinach and tomatoes, but now they're recalling chocolate for salmonella contamination! :cry: What is the world coming to? Not the chocolate!!!! :surprised

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/n...=fa957946-1570-42de-995d-b5b4d1a9ea2e&k=95718

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2006 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

AAAARRGGGHH!!!!!

I tried to warn you all, but NOOOOOO, I was just being an alarmist. :devil:

4. Nov 14, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

is this a plot to kill the sisterhood?

5. Nov 14, 2006 #4

russ_watters

Don't worry, I'll help pick up the slack - a new client of mine is a cocoa bean processor for Hershey, Hershey and I helped get them online last week. They were just doing test runs then, but by now they should be in full production. They process 20 tons of cocoa beans an hour, producing 14 tons of cocoa butter, powder, and liquer, which is trucked to Hershey to make the final product. I'm not sure if that's really enough to keep the sisterhood satiated, but it should at least keep the siezures to a minimum.

It is one delicious smelling factory.

6. Nov 14, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Moonie, now it's my turn to tell you to quit whining. This is Canadian Hershey, so it has no effect on you. On the other hand, Peanut Butter Cups are my favourite vegetable. :cry:

7. Nov 14, 2006 #6
    As long as it doesn't spread to doughnuts.:bugeye:

8. Nov 14, 2006 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I hate to say this, but I don't like Hershey chocolates. Somehow, after tasting chocolates with higher cocoa butter content, they don't feel as rich and smooth. I blame a few of my friends who brought chocolates back from Belgium. I've become such a snob that I only buy Scharffen Berger chocolates. :(

But then again, I'm not part of the Sisterhood, only an adopted mascot. <strikes a pose>

:)

Zz.

9. Nov 14, 2006 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have no idea how many countries need to supply us with chocolate to keep us adequately stocked in the sisterhood headquarters!

Yes, Peanut Butter Cups are one of my favorites. I don't go for much Hershey chocolate (or much of any of the stuff you generally find in the grocery store), but Peanut Butter Cups are one of the few I get cravings for every so often (and just had a bag for Halloween)...and the Hershey bars with almonds are the other ones.

I interviewed for a job once at Hershey Medical School in Hershey, PA. I don't know if they could have paid me enough to keep up with my chocolate consumption in a town that smells like chocolate every time you walk outside!

10. Nov 14, 2006 #9

turbo

Gold Member

Just as long as there are not simultaneous recalls on Beck's and Heiniken! :surprised

11. Nov 14, 2006 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Well, I drink Keith's, so you're on your own there. :tongue:

12. Nov 14, 2006 #11
    I'm not worried there -- I'm trusting that alcohol will kill those microbe suckers. At least a stronger alcohol will might! (My preventive mediation when friends around me are sick is a good screwdriver -- the OJ for the vitamin C, and the vodka to kill things! :rofl: )

13. Nov 14, 2006 #12

turbo

Gold Member

I can always fall back on Kentucky bourbon or sour-mash - most of the beer produced on this continent falls somewhere between dishwater and horse urine. If I drink any US beer, it's from the microbrewery two towns over.

http://oakpondbrewery.com/

Their Nut Brown Ale and White Fox Ale are to die for.

14. Nov 14, 2006 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those peanut butter cups are the most sickly things known to mankind. Bleurgh. Oak Pond beer sounds a bit more like it.

15. Nov 14, 2006 #14
    No more bon-bons for you!

16. Nov 14, 2006 #15

Evo

Hmmmmph, I don't eat cheap contaminated bons bons. :devil:

17. Nov 14, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That just means more for womankind! We've been noticing a shortage of deliveries from Britain lately...

18. Nov 14, 2006 #17
    And the housecoat is doubtless by Versace, right?

19. Nov 14, 2006 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Goes just right with the Christian Dior bunny slippers and the Salon-branded Chinese-made plastic hair-curlers.

20. Nov 14, 2006 #19

Evo

Only if they sell Versace at Walmart. :grumpy:

Actually they're pink hippo slippers. They match the hippos on my flannel housecoat.

21. Nov 14, 2006 #20

turbo

Gold Member

EVO, you domestic goddess!! (Hungry, hungry hippos!)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?