Not The Substitute Physics Teacher You Want Teaching Your Students

In summary, a "recurrent substitute teacher" is someone who is called in to fill in for a teacher when they're absent or busy and might not be familiar with the subject they're teaching that day. This teacher is similar to the substitute I had in high school and is often old, retired, or just old. He might try to talk about the planned lesson, but is more likely to show the film, read, or do homework.
Science news on Phys.org
This guy is described as a "recurrent substitute teacher", so I bet he doesn't know any physics, or at least not enough to teach it. He's probably part of a pool of substitutes that the school calls on when one of the regular teachers gets sick, and each class he does might be in a different subject. His job is basically to keep the kids occupied until the next class, so they're not wandering the halls getting into trouble.

Phew, this thread isn't about my wife.

He reminds me quite a lot of a substitute I would frequently get in high school. He, too, had weird theories, like humans descended from lizards (hey, at least he believed in evolution, haha). He would sometimes have very, very bloodshot eyes...not that that means anything :biggrin:.

Teachers are not the problem. Standardized testing and the loss of teacher autonomy are the problem.
At least that is what I always hear. Hopefully he loses his autonomy even if it is just as a sub.

Somehow, the image of Mr. Garrison from South Park kept popping into my mind.

EDIT: He's also a Tool fan? Damn. But I believe it. Tool's philosophies are way out there in the fringe, with a heavy Jungian bent. I enjoy their music, their videos and their dedication to weirdness. But who would be credulous enough to actually buy that stuff?

I thought this was going to be about a religious nut, but sadly they don't get anywhere near the criticism they deserve.

Good on the student for exposing him, but I had plenty of idiot teachers in high school.

ZapperZ said:
Where do they find these people and why are they being set free on our kids?

http://news.yahoo.com/substitute-te...zarre-conspiracy-theories-high-135248463.html

We ban crackpot like this in this forum.

Zz.

Breaking your question into its relevant parts:

1) Where do they find substitute physics teachers? Answer: they probably don't.

2) Who do they find instead of a physics teacher? Answer: someone willing to be on-call 5 days a week without knowing what subject they're going to be teaching from one day to the next.

When I was in high school, once in a while, the substitute would actually try to talk a bit about the lesson planned for that day and sometimes they actually knew what they were talking about. That requires a teacher that plans for the possibility of being absent, plus enough luck to get a substitute that knows the subject they're filling in for that day.

Most of the time a substitute teacher meant a film (always a popular option for both the substitute and the students), reading, or doing homework.

Oh, how I miss the days of real film projectors where the sprockets never quite grabbed the holes in the film quite right, creating that great audio affect for the narrator. It would have been so cool to be able to talk like that in real life.

They should have made a special Academy Award category for best school film narrator.

BobG said:
When I was in high school, once in a while, the substitute would actually try to talk a bit about the lesson planned for that day and sometimes they actually knew what they were talking about.

From my experience, if they know what they're talking about, they know what they're talking about very well. In a high school calulus course, we had a sub teacher that taught us topology after the lesson for fun. In another math course, the sub teacher probably knew the material better than the teacher themself. We were trying to do proofs. He would simply look at the problem and hint us at what identities to use without even trying to prove it on paper.

I wonder where they got those people. They were all old. Possibly retired teachers?

Slightly relevant: I had a friend take a night course of high school Calculus because the day course was too hard. The teacher was teaching crap like the horizontal asymptotes of a function is the same thing as the slope. He failed and dropped out of college because of that.

1. How do you determine if a substitute physics teacher is not suitable for teaching students?

As a scientist, I would use objective measurements such as student performance, classroom observation, and feedback from other teachers to evaluate the substitute teacher's effectiveness in teaching physics. I would also assess their knowledge and understanding of the subject matter.

2. What qualities should a substitute physics teacher possess to be considered a good fit for teaching students?

A good substitute physics teacher should have a strong understanding of physics concepts and be able to effectively communicate them to students. They should also have experience in teaching and managing a classroom, as well as the ability to adapt to different teaching styles and student needs.

3. What steps can be taken to ensure that students are receiving a quality physics education from a substitute teacher?

To ensure a quality physics education from a substitute teacher, it is important to have clear expectations and guidelines in place for them to follow. Regular check-ins with the substitute teacher and providing them with lesson plans and materials can also help ensure that students are receiving a consistent and effective education.

4. How can a substitute physics teacher be supported in their role to effectively teach students?

Substitute physics teachers should receive support from the school administration, other teachers, and educational resources. They should also be given clear expectations and guidelines, as well as access to necessary materials and resources. Regular communication and feedback can also help support a substitute teacher in their role.

5. What can be done if a substitute physics teacher is not meeting the standards expected for teaching students?

If a substitute physics teacher is not meeting the expected standards for teaching students, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible. This can include providing additional support and resources, offering feedback and guidance, or finding a replacement if necessary. It is important to prioritize the education and well-being of students in these situations.