Deciphering Notation for Linear Operators in Inner Product Spaces

In summary, the conversation discusses a theorem in linear algebra and the notation used for it. The question asks for a clarification of the notation and the proof of the theorem. The left hand side of the equation is interpreted as the adjoint of a new linear operator, while the right hand side is the adjoint of the original linear operator. The conversation concludes with the understanding of the notation and the proof being relatively straightforward.
Defennder
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

This is from a linear algebra textbook I'm reading. I don't know whether there is universal agreement as to how notation should read for this, so this thread may well be meaningless. But I'll just post it to see if anyone can decipher what the question means. I'm asked to prove it, by the way, but I can't do so unless I understand the notation:

Theorem 6.11 Let V be an inner product space, and let T and U be linear operators on V. Then
(b)[tex](cT)^* = \bar{c}T^* \ \mbox{for any c} \ \in F[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can understand the RHS of the question; that for a vector u in V, [tex]\bar{c}T^*(\vec{u})[/tex]. The * here denotes adjoint of the linear operator T, but how do I interpret the LHS? It clearly cannot be [tex]cT^*(\vec{u})[/tex]. Elsewhere, the book uses A* for a matrix A to denote the conjugate transpose of A, where every entry in A* is the complex transpose of the complex conjugate of the corresponding entry in A. But that can't be the interpretation either since if that is so, the LHS would be a row vector while the RHS a column vector.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the left hand side: define a new linear operator [itex]S := c T[/itex]. Then the left hand side is [itex]S^*[/itex], so the adjoint of this new operator.

The proof is easy by the way, just writing out a string of identities which follow from known (defining) properties.

Defennder said:

Homework Statement

This is from a linear algebra textbook I'm reading. I don't know whether there is universal agreement as to how notation should read for this, so this thread may well be meaningless. But I'll just post it to see if anyone can decipher what the question means. I'm asked to prove it, by the way, but I can't do so unless I understand the notation:

Theorem 6.11 Let V be an inner product space, and let T and U be linear operators on V. Then
(b)[tex](cT)^* = \bar{c}T^* \ \mbox{for any c} \ \in F[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can understand the RHS of the question; that for a vector u in V, [tex]\bar{c}T^*(\vec{u})[/tex]. The * here denotes adjoint of the linear operator T, but how do I interpret the LHS? It clearly cannot be [tex]cT^*(\vec{u})[/tex]. Elsewhere, the book uses A* for a matrix A to denote the conjugate transpose of A, where every entry in A* is the complex transpose of the complex conjugate of the corresponding entry in A. But that can't be the interpretation either since if that is so, the LHS would be a row vector while the RHS a column vector.
?T is a linear operator. cT is the linear operator that maps vector v into c(T(v)). (cT)* is the adjoint of that operator. You say yourself "The * here denotes adjoint of the linear operator T". The fact that "Elsewhere, the book uses A* for a matrix A to denote the conjugate transpose of A, where every entry in A* is the complex transpose of the complex conjugate of the corresponding entry in A. " is not relevant here because you are talking about linear transformations, not matrices. Use the interpretation that is relevant.

(Given a specific basis, a linear transformation can be written as a matrix. The two interpretations of "*" then coincide: the "adjoint of the linear transformation" has matrix (in that same basis) that is the "adjoint of the (original) matrix.)

I got it. The problem was that I didn't know how to interpret the notation. Thanks.

What is the notation used for linear operators?

The notation used for linear operators is typically a capital letter, such as A, B, or C, followed by parentheses containing the variable or variables on which the operator acts. For example, if the operator is A and the variable is x, the notation would be A(x).

What is the purpose of using notation for linear operators?

The purpose of using notation for linear operators is to provide a concise and standardized way to represent and manipulate these mathematical objects. Notation allows for ease of communication and understanding among mathematicians and scientists.

Can linear operators be written in matrix form?

Yes, linear operators can be written in matrix form. This is especially useful in the context of linear algebra, where matrices are used to represent linear transformations. The matrix form of a linear operator is obtained by representing the operator as a matrix of coefficients, with the rows and columns corresponding to the variables on which the operator acts.

What is the difference between a linear operator and a linear function?

A linear operator is a mathematical object that maps one vector space to another, while a linear function is a mapping between two sets that preserves addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, a linear operator operates on vectors, while a linear function operates on elements of a set. Additionally, linear operators can act on more than one variable, while linear functions typically act on only one variable.

What is an example of a linear operator?

An example of a linear operator is the differentiation operator, denoted as d/dx. This operator takes a function as its input and returns its derivative as the output. Another example is the rotation operator in three-dimensional space, which rotates a vector by a specified angle around a given axis.