Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Novel Multiplication and Division by odd squares

1. Dec 1, 2012 #1
    let [tex]A_i[/tex] be an odd integer, [tex]s_i[/tex] be the square of [tex]a_i[/tex] and [tex]t_i[/tex] be the triangular number, [tex](s_i -1)/8[/tex]. Same for [tex]a_j , s_j, t_j, etc[/tex]. Define Multiplication of [tex]n X A_i , etc[/tex] to be n * s_i - t_j and division to be the reverse of this process. I found that

n X A_i X A_j X A_k = n X A_k X A_j X A_i = n X A_j X A_k X A_i etc.

for instance ((((4 * 9 - 1)*49 - 6)*25 -3) + 1) / 9 = (4*25-3)*49-6 = (4*49-6) * 25 - 3 = B

8*4-1 = 31 and 8*B - 1 = 31*25*49

Is there a simple way to prove this general result?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2012 #2
    I can barely make this out, since you didn't format it.
    If I'm reading it right, this just follows from the commutativity of multiplication.

4. Dec 1, 2012 #3
    Yes, removing all unnecessary notation, the result your are looking for is the following:

Let k be a real number. For real numbers n and x, define n[itex]\circ[/itex]x=nx+k(x-1). Then (n[itex]\circ[/itex]x)[itex]\circ[/itex]y=n[itex]\circ[/itex](xy).

The proof of this is trivial, and your result is the special case of k=-1/8, and where nXa=n[itex]\circ[/itex]a2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook