Novice's Question: Understanding Photon & Spacetime Curvature

• Thread starter yoquan
  • Start date
In summary, photons, being a type of boson, follow the curvature of spacetime just like any other particle would due to the effects of gravity. This concept, known as gravitational lensing, was first described by Chwolson in 1924 and famously discussed by Einstein in 1936. However, there is currently no rigorous mathematical theory that incorporates gravitons, which are hypothetical particles that are thought to mediate the force of gravity. Therefore, the question of why photons follow the curve created by gravitons is still unanswered. However, in general, all particles, not just photons, follow the curvature of spacetime due to the effects of gravity.
yoquan
Hi all,

Could anyone tell me why photons - electromagnetic ones - always follow the curve created by spacetime - gravitation's one?

I would appreciate so much if someone gives me a natural explanation.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The gravity from a massive object warps space time according to Einstein's General Relativity, and thus bends everything contained, including light. Called "gravitational lensing," it was first described by a Mr. Chwolson in 1924, but more famously discussed and described by Einstein in '36.

Also, you mentioned "electromagnetic photons;" all photons are defined as electromagnetic force particles, so all of them are the electromagnetic ones.

I think the OP thinks Photons refers to all Bosons, I am pretty sure his question is:

Could anyone tell me why Photons always follow the curve created by gravitons?

As of now we don't really have a rigorous mathematical theory that incorporates gravitons, though they have been conjectured to exist in the Standard model, because all the other fundamental forces of nature have messenger Bosons as well.

If you just change your question to "...always follows the curve in spacetime created by a large gravitational force" then Mk answers the question quite nicely.

yoquan said:
Could anyone tell me why photons - electromagnetic ones - always follow the curve created by spacetime - gravitation's one?

Why do you ask about photons in particular, as opposed to particles in general?

Everything that moves through spacetime "follows" the curvature of spacetime. I suppose you could call that a fundamental assumption of general relativity.

Related to Novice's Question: Understanding Photon & Spacetime Curvature

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and momentum. It has zero mass and travels at the speed of light.

2. How does a photon relate to spacetime curvature?

A photon's path is influenced by the curvature of spacetime. As it travels through space, it follows the curvature caused by the presence of massive objects, such as planets or stars.

3. What is spacetime curvature?

Spacetime curvature is the bending and warping of the fabric of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This curvature is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of general relativity.

4. How does understanding photon and spacetime curvature help us understand the universe?

Understanding the relationship between photons and spacetime curvature allows us to better understand the behavior of light and how it is affected by the presence of massive objects. This understanding is crucial in explaining phenomena such as gravitational lensing and the expansion of the universe.

5. Can spacetime curvature be observed?

Yes, spacetime curvature can be observed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of starlight around massive objects or the detection of gravitational waves. These observations provide evidence for the theory of general relativity and our understanding of the universe.