Nuclear Engineering Jobs that Require a lot of Travel

In summary, if you want to be a nuclear engineer and work in a field that requires a lot of travel, you should look for certification or training in inspection personnel.
questionmenow
Are there any jobs for nuclear engineering majors that require a lot of travel. International would be preferred. I would just hate to stay in one spot! Any job ideas would help!

Likes Guan
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You might want to try looking up for certification or training as an inspection personnel. I've been working as an non-destructive testing technologist in the oil and gas sector and this job requires me to travel a lot to site and also offshore facility to perform inspection during construction, fabrication and maintenance. Normally, I'll work on a project for like 3-4 month and take a 2 week - 1 month break before getting into different project at different location.I believe you could look for the same kind of job in the nuclear industry as well. I'm not really sure about nuclear industry because I've been working in the nuclear power before because there's no nuclear industry from I'm from.

You can try to look up into getting certified as inspection personnel. There are many inspection certification that you can choose for like in the oil and gas and energy sector, non-destructive testing, welding inspection, painting inspection, authorised plant inspection are among the popular entry level certification for graduates. I'm not really sure very well about nuclear power sector specifically, but I've seen somewhere that there are certification as Authorized Nuclear Inspector specifically for nuclear power plant.

O yeah, and for your information, I've a degree in B.Sc. in Nuclear Science, and planning to do my M.Sc. in Nuclear Engineering in the next few years time. Actually I'm also looking for opportunity to get into nuclear industry. I believe my inspection experience would be useful in the nuclear industry.

I can think k of a job that is basically all travel, but unfortunately you won't get to see any of the places you visit...

Not exactly true - he gets to see those places through a periscope. :devil:

1. What types of jobs in nuclear engineering require a lot of travel?

There are several types of jobs in nuclear engineering that require a lot of travel, including field service engineer, project manager, and nuclear inspector.

2. How often will I need to travel for a nuclear engineering job?

The frequency of travel will vary depending on the specific job and company. Some jobs may require frequent travel, while others may only require occasional travel for specific projects or assignments.

3. What are the benefits of working in a nuclear engineering job that requires a lot of travel?

Working in a nuclear engineering job that requires a lot of travel can offer several benefits, such as the opportunity to work on a variety of projects, gain experience in different locations, and potentially receive higher pay or bonuses.

4. What are some challenges of working in a nuclear engineering job that requires a lot of travel?

Some potential challenges of working in a nuclear engineering job that requires a lot of travel may include being away from home and loved ones for extended periods of time, adjusting to different time zones and cultures, and dealing with the physical and mental toll of frequent travel.

5. Are there opportunities for career advancement in nuclear engineering jobs that require a lot of travel?

Yes, there are opportunities for career advancement in nuclear engineering jobs that require a lot of travel. These positions often offer valuable experience and exposure to different projects and industries, which can help advance your career in the field. Additionally, some companies may offer promotions or opportunities for higher-level positions within the company for employees who are willing to travel frequently.