1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear physics - number of nucleons on surface?

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a nucleus of A=220, estimate very roughly how many nucleaons would be at the surface.

2. Relevant equations

R0=1.5 x 10-15

r=A1/3 x R0

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the formulas, I calculated R to be 7.2441729 x 10-15

The book says that the number of nucleons at the surface and the total number of nucleons has a ratio of ~1/r

1/r= 1.3804 x 1014

I tried the following:

1.3804 x 1014 = 220/x

which didn't make sense...

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the key here is 'very roughly'. You have a big sphere made of 220 smaller spheres. Roughly, what's the volume of that sphere in terms of the radius of the smaller sphere. What's the total area of that sphere? Each smaller sphere exposes, roughly, pi*r^2 of outer surface area. How many are there? Roughly.

4. May 23, 2008 #3
    so I could set a volume of a sphere as 220, solve for r, and then find the surface area based on that?

5. May 23, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, then use the area to estimate the number of spheres with volume 1 on the surface. I think that's what they're after. It's certainly a 'rough estimate'.

6. May 23, 2008 #5
    thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?