Nuclear physics - number of nucleons on surface?

In summary, for a nucleus of A=220, the number of nucleons at the surface can be roughly estimated by calculating the volume of the sphere and using the surface area of each smaller sphere. This gives an estimate of the ratio 1/r, which can be used to approximate the number of nucleons at the surface.
aliaze1

Homework Statement

For a nucleus of A=220, estimate very roughly how many nucleaons would be at the surface.

Homework Equations

R0=1.5 x 10-15

r=A1/3 x R0

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the formulas, I calculated R to be 7.2441729 x 10-15

The book says that the number of nucleons at the surface and the total number of nucleons has a ratio of ~1/r

1/r= 1.3804 x 1014

I tried the following:

1.3804 x 1014 = 220/x

which didn't make sense...

what am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the key here is 'very roughly'. You have a big sphere made of 220 smaller spheres. Roughly, what's the volume of that sphere in terms of the radius of the smaller sphere. What's the total area of that sphere? Each smaller sphere exposes, roughly, pi*r^2 of outer surface area. How many are there? Roughly.

so I could set a volume of a sphere as 220, solve for r, and then find the surface area based on that?

aliaze1 said:
so I could set a volume of a sphere as 220, solve for r, and then find the surface area based on that?

Yes, then use the area to estimate the number of spheres with volume 1 on the surface. I think that's what they're after. It's certainly a 'rough estimate'.

thanks!

1. What is nuclear physics and why is it important?

Nuclear physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of atomic nuclei. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and how they interact.

2. What are nucleons and how do they contribute to the number of nucleons on the surface?

Nucleons are particles found in the nucleus of an atom, specifically protons and neutrons. The number of nucleons on the surface of a nucleus is determined by the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, as they make up the mass of the nucleus.

3. How does the number of nucleons on the surface affect the stability of a nucleus?

The number of nucleons on the surface of a nucleus does not have a direct effect on its stability. However, the total number of nucleons in a nucleus does play a role in its stability. Generally, nuclei with a higher number of nucleons are more stable.

4. Can the number of nucleons on the surface of a nucleus change?

Yes, the number of nucleons on the surface of a nucleus can change through processes such as nuclear reactions or radioactive decay. These processes can add or remove nucleons from the nucleus, altering its composition and potentially affecting its stability.

5. How does nuclear physics impact our daily lives?

Nuclear physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in nuclear power generation, medical imaging and treatments, and even food production. It also helps us understand the processes that occur in stars and the formation of elements in the universe.