Nuclear Stability: Z & N Combinations for A=22

In summary: But it might still be worth discussing 11,11.In summary, the question asks for values of Z and N that would give stability to a nucleus with A=22. The liquid drop and shell models are used to find two possible combinations: Z=10 and N=12, and Z=8 and N=14. The periodic table can be used to verify these results, but in an exam setting, only the first combination would be relevant. Other possible combinations such as 11,11 may also be worth discussing, but there are very few stable odd/odd nuclei.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Question: Discuss what values of Z and N might give stabilty to a nucleus with A=22

Homework Equations

$$BE=a_vA-a_sA^{\frac{2}{3}}-a_c\:\frac{Z\left(Z-1\right)}{A^{\frac{1}{3}}}-a_s\frac{\:\left(A-2N\right)^2}{A}+\delta \left(A,Z\right)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

For this question I am going to assume I know nothing of periodic table or anything of that nature and just go with the two model of the nucleus the liquid drop and shell model.

So my first combination is this
Z=10 and N=12
There are two reason for this:
1. By the paring term an even number of nucleons will increasing the B.E of the nucleus
2. With a high number of nutron to protons the the nuclear force is greater than the Colombo force which gives stability

My second combination is
Z=8 and N=14
This is because 8 is a magic number and will increase stability in the nucleus, as show from experiment.

Have I missed anything?

Physics news on Phys.org
8,14 has a very large proton/neutron imbalance.
12,10 might be worth a look.

You can check the periodic table to verify your result, of course. There is just one stable nucleus with A=22 (that you found), and only one that lives longer than a minute (that one is not discussed here).

mfb said:
8,14 has a very large proton/neutron imbalance.
12,10 might be worth a look.

You can check the periodic table to verify your result, of course. There is just one stable nucleus with A=22 (that you found), and only one that lives longer than a minute (that one is not discussed here).

The only problem is this is from a old exam paper, and in the exam I have no access to the period table, I did think that 8,14 was a big p/n but it the only one I could relate to the shell model and magic number.

I have re-read the question a couple of time and what confuses me also is what it mean by values, is that implying just one set of value like the 10, 12 or do they mean multiple values.

I am assuming the question want to test me on my ability to my knowledge of shell model and SMPF. That what I believe the question is asking . I did think 11 11 that to me would also be the most stable but I don’t know if that right in this context.

I am also slightly confuse with what it means buy values dose it mean just one set of A,Z as tho 12,10 is possible and stable the Colombo force would be slightly higher making it more unstable

Last edited:
There are nearly no stable odd/odd nuclei. It might still be worth discussing 11,11.
Taylor_1989 said:
I am also slightly confuse with what it means buy values dose it mean just one set of A,Z as tho 12,10 is possible and stable the Colombo force would be slightly higher making it more unstable
Sure, and the nucleus is indeed unstable.

Likes Taylor_1989

Related to Nuclear Stability: Z & N Combinations for A=22

1. What is nuclear stability?

Nuclear stability refers to the ability of a nucleus to maintain its structure and not undergo spontaneous nuclear reactions or decay. It depends on the balance between the forces that hold the nucleus together and the forces that try to pull it apart.

2. How is nuclear stability measured?

Nuclear stability is measured by the ratio of protons (Z) to neutrons (N) in a nucleus, known as the neutron-to-proton ratio. This ratio is different for different elements, but stable nuclei generally have a ratio close to 1:1.

3. What is the role of Z and N combinations in nuclear stability?

Z and N combinations play a crucial role in determining the stability of a nucleus. The number of protons (Z) determines the element, while the number of neutrons (N) can vary within an element. The stability of a nucleus is affected by the arrangement of protons and neutrons, and certain combinations are more stable than others.

4. How does the stability of a nucleus affect its properties?

The stability of a nucleus affects its properties in several ways. Stable nuclei tend to have longer half-lives, meaning they are less likely to undergo radioactive decay. They also tend to have higher binding energies, which makes them more difficult to break apart. Additionally, stable nuclei are less likely to undergo nuclear reactions or fusion.

5. What are the implications of understanding nuclear stability?

Understanding nuclear stability is essential for many fields, including nuclear physics, chemistry, and nuclear engineering. It allows us to predict the behavior of different elements and isotopes and helps us develop nuclear technologies, such as nuclear power and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the formation of elements in the universe and the process of nucleosynthesis.