1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nuclear Physics or Nuclear Engineer?

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Hey guys I had a quick question about working at a Nuclear Power Plant. I want to become one of the Nuclear inspectors but I don't know which degree to go for. Is it the Nuclear Engineer because I have been noticing that more when looking more into power plants. I was going to go for a PhD in Nuclear Physics but if that's not the right one then I kind of need to know. Any other information would be helpful as well. I was also looking to Intern at Palo Verde in AZ. Any help with what I should do to get me ready or classes I should take?

Thanks,
    Brian

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2
    Nuclear engineer would probably be easier, though both would provide at least qualification for many entry level inspector jobs.

4. Sep 19, 2012 #3
    Nuclear Engineering!

5. Sep 19, 2012 #4

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did my PhD in nuclear physics. Getting a PhD in nuclear physics has zero correlation with what you want to do.

6. Sep 19, 2012 #5
    So I should go with nuclear engineering then I'm guessing?

7. Sep 20, 2012 #6
    I was considering the same career path. What exacly is the difference between the careers of a nuclear (experimental) physicist/engineer? I've heard that experimental physicists often work as supervisors with engineers when they get jobs in industry. Is that the case in the nuclear field or are the experimentalists on an r and d team? It seems like a lot of the research has actually been done and there's mostly a lot of engineering questions (but I'm just an undergraduate physics student, not a nuclear engineer)

bcrowell, maybe you can answer my questions better than anyone else.

How's the job market in the nuclear field? I know you need to move to whatever country actually has nuclear program. Is there a lot of demand in those countries?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook