• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Nuclear Physics or Nuclear Engineer?

• Thread starter mbrian
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hey guys I had a quick question about working at a Nuclear Power Plant. I want to become one of the Nuclear inspectors but I don't know which degree to go for. Is it the Nuclear Engineer because I have been noticing that more when looking more into power plants. I was going to go for a PhD in Nuclear Physics but if that's not the right one then I kind of need to know. Any other information would be helpful as well. I was also looking to Intern at Palo Verde in AZ. Any help with what I should do to get me ready or classes I should take?

Thanks,
Brian

Answers and Replies

Nuclear engineer would probably be easier, though both would provide at least qualification for many entry level inspector jobs.

Nuclear Engineering!

bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I did my PhD in nuclear physics. Getting a PhD in nuclear physics has zero correlation with what you want to do.

So I should go with nuclear engineering then I'm guessing?

I was considering the same career path. What exacly is the difference between the careers of a nuclear (experimental) physicist/engineer? I've heard that experimental physicists often work as supervisors with engineers when they get jobs in industry. Is that the case in the nuclear field or are the experimentalists on an r and d team? It seems like a lot of the research has actually been done and there's mostly a lot of engineering questions (but I'm just an undergraduate physics student, not a nuclear engineer)

bcrowell, maybe you can answer my questions better than anyone else.

How's the job market in the nuclear field? I know you need to move to whatever country actually has nuclear program. Is there a lot of demand in those countries?