1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of Non-Isomorphic Abelian Groups

1. Apr 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the number of non-isomorphic abelian groups of order
    72, and list one group from each isomorphism class.

3. The attempt at a solution

72 = 2^3*3^2
    3= 1+1+1= 2+1= 3 (3)

2= 1+1= 2 (2)

3*2 = 6

And then I get lost on the listing of a group from each isomorphism class.... Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you know the fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups? If you really understand it, this should be straightforward.

4. Apr 7, 2008 #3
    The fundamental theorem of finite abelian groups states that every finite abelian group can be expressed as the direct sum of cyclic subgroups of prime-power order.

Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_3 x Z_3
    Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_2 x Z_9
    Z_2 x Z_4 x Z_3 x Z_3
    Z_2 x Z_4 x Z_9
    Z_8 x Z_3 x Z_3
    Z_8 x Z_9

Yes?

5. Apr 7, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, those are precisely all of them.

6. Apr 7, 2008 #5
    Okay. Thanks so much! I was trying to make it more complicated than it needed to be, I think. :-D

This is a side question that kind of pertains to this. Why is Z_3 x Z_3 not isomorphic to Z_9?

Thanks again for your help, Morphism! You're a lifesaver! (I have a test in less than 10 hours... *sigh*)

7. Apr 7, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, for instance, notice that Z_3 x Z_3 doesn't have an element of order 9.

Good luck on your test!

8. Apr 7, 2008 #7
    Thanks for the luck! I'm probably going to need it.

Is there a simple way to test whether or not something has an element of a certain order (i.e. Z_3 x Z_3 not having an element of order 9)? I want to make sure I understand this fully before morning.

Thanks again!

9. Apr 7, 2008 #8

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try to prove that the order of an arbitrary element (x,y) in GxH is lcm{o(x), o(y)}. Can you generalize this to the direct product of n groups?

So in our case, the largest possible order an element of Z_3 x Z_3 can have is 6 (= lcm{2,3}).

10. Apr 7, 2008 #9
    Good Morning, Morphism!

I'm looking at this last post, and I'm still a bit confused (forgive me). How did you decide that for Z_3 x Z_3 we were using lcm{2,3}?

Thank you so much for your time and patience. :-D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?