Number of payments to reach an investment goal

• MHB
  • Thread starter ebroc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the future value of an investment and how to determine when it will reach a specific target amount. The compound interest formula and the future value of an annuity formula are provided as solutions, along with the use of logarithms to solve for the number of periods.
ebroc
Hi

I'm trying to calculate at what point my investment will reach it's target. I'm fine doing this starting from zero using

number of periods = log(1+ ((FV * R)/P)) / log (1+R)

FV = Future Value
R = Rate
P = Monthly Investment

But what if I already have \$20000 in my account and want to know when it will reach \$50000 if I am saving \$1000 from now onwards. Assuming interest is compounded monthly.

Hope this is clear. Thanks for looking

Regards

E

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let $P$ = monthly investment, $A$ = existing investment, $R$ = monthly interest rate, and $n$ = the number of deposits.

Also, let $B_n$ be the account balance after payment $n$, and $B_0=A+P$ is the starting balance.

Consider the recursion:

\(\displaystyle B_{n}=(1+R)B_{n-1}+P\tag{1}\)

\(\displaystyle B_{n+1}=(1+R)B_{n}+P\tag{2}\)

Subtracting (1) from (2) yields the linear homogeneous recursion:

\(\displaystyle B_{n+1}=(2+R)B_{n}-(1+R)B_{n-1}\)

whose associated auxiliary equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2-(2+R)r+(1+R)=0\)

\(\displaystyle (r-(1+R))(r-1)=0\)

Thus, the closed-form for our recursion is:

\(\displaystyle B_n=k_1(1+R)^n+k_2\)

Using initial values, we may determine the coefficients $k_i$:

\(\displaystyle k_1+k_2=B_0\)

\(\displaystyle k_1(1+R)+k_2=(1+R)B_0+P\)

Solving this system, we find:

\(\displaystyle \left(k_1,k_2\right)=\left(B_0+\frac{P}{R},-\frac{P}{R}\right)\)

And so the solution is:

\(\displaystyle B_n=\left(B_0+\frac{P}{R}\right)(1+R)^n-\frac{P}{R}\)

Solving for $n$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle n=\frac{\ln\left(\dfrac{B_nR+P}{B_0R+P}\right)}{\ln(1+R)}\)

ebroc said:
Hi

I'm trying to calculate at what point my investment will reach it's target. I'm fine doing this starting from zero using

number of periods = log(1+ ((FV * R)/P)) / log (1+R)

FV = Future Value
R = Rate
P = Monthly Investment

But what if I already have \$20000 in my account and want to know when it will reach \$50000 if I am saving \$1000 from now onwards. Assuming interest is compounded monthly.

Hope this is clear. Thanks for looking

Regards

E
Compound interest formula plus FV of annuity formula (annuity due version, i.e. payments at beginning of period).
Thus,
\(\displaystyle 50,000=200,000(1+i)^n+1,000(1+i)\frac{(1+i)^{n}-1}{i}\)

From your post, I take it that you can easily solve for n using logarithms.

Thank you both so much for your help. Your answers not only answered my question, but also a couple I hadn't even thought of. :D

Kind regards

E

Last edited:

Related to Number of payments to reach an investment goal

1. How do I calculate the number of payments needed to reach an investment goal?

To calculate the number of payments needed to reach an investment goal, you can use a simple formula: n = log(A/P) / log(1 + r), where n is the number of payments, A is the desired amount, P is the initial investment or payment, and r is the annual interest rate. This formula assumes that the payments are made at the end of each period and that the interest is compounded annually.

2. Does the frequency of payments affect the number needed to reach an investment goal?

Yes, the frequency of payments can affect the number needed to reach an investment goal. If the payments are made more frequently (e.g. monthly instead of annually), the number of payments needed will decrease since the interest is compounded more frequently, leading to a faster growth of the investment.

3. What happens if I miss a payment while trying to reach my investment goal?

If you miss a payment while trying to reach your investment goal, it can affect the number of payments needed. This is because missing a payment means that the interest will not be compounded on that amount, leading to a slower growth of the investment. You may need to make additional payments to catch up and reach your goal.

4. Is it possible to reach an investment goal without making any additional payments?

Yes, it is possible to reach an investment goal without making any additional payments, as long as the initial investment and the interest rate are high enough. However, this may take a longer time and is not recommended as it is always better to make regular payments to ensure steady and consistent growth of the investment.

5. Can the number of payments needed to reach an investment goal change over time?

Yes, the number of payments needed to reach an investment goal can change over time. This is because the initial investment, interest rate, and frequency of payments can all change, leading to different growth rates and ultimately, a different number of payments needed. It is important to regularly review and adjust your investment plan to ensure that you are on track to reach your goal.