Number of Possible Outcomes w/ Restrictions (Coin Toss)

• Thread starter ProbQ
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed a dilemma in determining the total number of possible outcomes for a coin toss system with restrictions. One suggestion was to sum over the number of "heads", setting forbidden cases to zero. Another approach involved using binomial coefficients, approximations, and manipulating the Chebyshev inequality. The conversation also mentioned a further query about finding the amount of possible outcomes in a repeated experiment with a start value and absorption. A paper was suggested for reference on this type of problem.
ProbQ
Hey guys,

I am currently working on a personal project, and I've run into a dilemma.

I need to determine the total number of possible outcomes for a coin toss type system, ie two possible outcomes each generation, for N generations. The problem however comes in with the restrictions I have to deal with, these being.

1) Outcome one cannot occur x more times than outcome two.
2) Outcome two cannot occur y more times than outcome one.

Any "branch" of the probability tree that contains such a case needs to be eliminated.

I have no idea how to solve this, besides some form of excel type model with each branch manually calculated, but that looks terribly daunting when the system is allowed to run for many generations.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can sum over the number of "heads", this needs ~N calculations for N coin tosses. Some of those summands are forbidden by your rules, so you can set them to zero.

Apologies as I'm pretty uneducated in this field and I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Would you mind elaborating?

Let's consider an example: x=y=2, N=60, and I'll call the two outcomes "heads" and "tails".

How many heads can we have?
0? No, we have 60 times tails, that is more than twice the number of heads.
1? No.
20? Still not possible, tails would occur twice as often as heads.
21? That is possible
39? Possible
40? Not possible, heads would occur twice as often as tails.
60? Not possible.

How many ways do we have to get 21 heads in 60 trials? -> Binomial coefficients
How many ways do we have to get 22 heads in 60 trials? -> Binomial coefficients
Sum all, and you get the total number.

For large N, it might be useful to find some approximations to simplify the calculation.

Likes 1 person
I haven't worked on the problem, but the result may follow from manipulating the Chebyshev inequality. Try using the fact that the variance of N tosses of a fair coin has mean N/2 and variance N(p)(1-p) and that you can establish some inequality between 1/x^2 and e^(-x).

mfb said:
Let's consider an example: x=y=2, N=60, and I'll call the two outcomes "heads" and "tails".

How many heads can we have?
0? No, we have 60 times tails, that is more than twice the number of heads.
1? No.
20? Still not possible, tails would occur twice as often as heads.
21? That is possible
39? Possible
40? Not possible, heads would occur twice as often as tails.
60? Not possible.

How many ways do we have to get 21 heads in 60 trials? -> Binomial coefficients
How many ways do we have to get 22 heads in 60 trials? -> Binomial coefficients
Sum all, and you get the total number.

For large N, it might be useful to find some approximations to simplify the calculation.
Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense.

I have a further query.

Say if we were to repeat the experiment, flipping coins, and each time we add one or subtract one from a start value, of say a 100, dependent on whether we get heads or tails. Is there a way to find the amount of possible outcomes wherein which the value never reached 200 or 0, throughout the entire process, not just at the end of the run of N coin tosses.

Thanks again.

That is a discrete random walk with absorption.
I found this paper, your problem looks like a special case of that.

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of possible outcomes with restrictions in a coin toss?

The formula for calculating the number of possible outcomes with restrictions in a coin toss is 2^n, where n is the number of restrictions. This formula is based on the fundamental principle of counting, which states that the total number of outcomes is equal to the product of the number of choices for each restriction.

2. How is the number of possible outcomes with restrictions affected by the number of restrictions?

The number of possible outcomes with restrictions increases exponentially as the number of restrictions increases. For example, if there are 2 restrictions, the number of possible outcomes is 4 (2^2), but if there are 3 restrictions, the number of possible outcomes is 8 (2^3). This is because each additional restriction adds another factor of 2 to the total number of outcomes.

3. Can the number of possible outcomes with restrictions be calculated for any number of restrictions?

Yes, the number of possible outcomes with restrictions can be calculated for any number of restrictions. As long as the restrictions are independent of each other and each restriction has a finite number of choices, the formula 2^n can be used to calculate the total number of possible outcomes.

4. How does the number of possible outcomes with restrictions in a coin toss compare to the number of outcomes without restrictions?

The number of possible outcomes with restrictions in a coin toss is always equal to or less than the number of outcomes without restrictions. This is because restrictions limit the number of choices for each toss, thereby reducing the total number of possible outcomes.

5. Can the number of possible outcomes with restrictions ever be greater than the number of outcomes without restrictions?

No, the number of possible outcomes with restrictions can never be greater than the number of outcomes without restrictions. This is because restrictions always limit the number of choices for each toss, which ultimately reduces the total number of possible outcomes. In some cases, the number of outcomes with restrictions may be equal to the number of outcomes without restrictions, but it can never be greater.