Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number of procedural tasks a person can do at one time?

1. Aug 9, 2016 #1
    I know working memory can successfully run up to 3 or 4 tasks.
    Is there any research on how many procedural skills we can run at one time? I couldn't find any info on this online.
    Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the person, type of task(s), and who knows what else; animators from the thirties and forties are my nominees for "busiest" people. But there's the possibility I've misunderstood a question dealing with AI.

4. Aug 11, 2016 #3
    Thanks for your response! I was mainly wondering whether procedural memory is related to or "dependent" in any way on working memory.
    I found this on Wiki:
    "These components include: processing speed, the rate at which information is processed in our processing system; breadth of declarative knowledge, the size of an individual's factual information store; breadth of procedural skill, the ability to perform the actual skill; and processing capacity, synonymous with working memory. "
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_memory
    Sounds like working memory contributes to it, but is by no means the only factor.

I still wonder up to how many procedural skills a person can generally do. If there is some data on this. No AI included. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted