Number Theory Books: Find the Right Book for You!

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
altcmdesc
Messages
64
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a good number theory book which doesn't hesitate to talk about the underlying algebra of some of the subject (e.g. using group theory to prove Fermat's Little Theorem and using ring theory to explain the ideas behind the Chinese Remainder Theorem). I'm still an undergraduate, so the book should be accessible to someone who has been through (or is going through, maybe) the standard undergrad abstract algebra coursework.

The book closest to my description is one by Everest and Ward, which I own already. The problem is that it's a little short and they shove aside some of the algebra in the earlier chapters as well...

Any suggestions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Try Elementary Number Theory: An Algebraic Approach by Bolker. I haven't read much of it, but it seems to be just what you're looking for. It's a little $10 Dover book, so you can't really go wrong.