1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number theory or intro to topology for comp sci/math

1. Jan 4, 2012 #1
    I'm pursuing dual degrees in mathematics and computer science with a concentration in scientific computing and am trying to decide whether I should take intro to topology or number theory.

Interests in no order are computational complexity, P=NP?, physics engines, graphics engines, geometry, linear algebra, computational science, medical robotics, algorithms, etc. I've already taken or am planning to take any related courses. Any advice on which course might be more pertinent?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Number theory MIGHT be useful to you in encryption and security. But there are no guarantees, it depends on the course.

I feel, however, that every math major should take topology. It's one of the courses you should know for "general culture". I don't think it will be useful to scientific computing though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook