What are the prime numbers that satisfy k²=n³+1 when n is not a prime number?

In summary, if k is a prime number and k²=n³+1, then all k that satisfy k²=n³+1 are prime. However, if k is not a prime number, then n must be a positive natural number and n³=k²-1.
TrifidBlue

Homework Statement

If k is a prime number
find all k that satisfy k²=n³+1
n is not a prime number

Homework Equations

I really have no idea, use any suitable one

The Attempt at a Solution

all prime numbers are odd except 2.
n must be positive natural number
n³ = k² -1 = (k-1)(k+1)

any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Two things you need to know to solve this problem:
1) If k is prime, then k^2 can only be divided by 4 numbers, 2 of which are k^2 and 1.
2) a^3 + b^3 = (a^2-ab+b^2)(a+b)

If you need more clues, ask, but post anything you did with these clues:)

-Tusike

Tusike said:
Two things you need to know to solve this problem:
1) If k is prime, then k^2 can only be divided by 4 numbers, 2 of which are k^2 and 1.
2) a^3 + b^3 = (a^2-ab+b^2)(a+b)

If you need more clues, ask, but post anything you did with these clues:)

-Tusike

thanks I'll try these hints

I tried with these two clues,
k^2 = (n+1)(n^2 -n+1)
k = sqrt [(n+1)(n^2 +n+1)]
and from clue (1) k^2 can be divided by k^2 , 1, k and -k
but I don't know how to connect the information together to get the answer :(

Ugh sorry, I said something wrong
k^2 can only be divided by 3 numbers, not 4 (I was thinking how it can be written down two ways as a multiple of two numbers...) . So what does that say about (n+1) and (n^2 -n + 1)?

Tusike said:
Ugh sorry, I said something wrong
k^2 can only be divided by 3 numbers, not 4 (I was thinking how it can be written down two ways as a multiple of two numbers...) . So what does that say about (n+1) and (n^2 -n + 1)?

k^2= (n+1) [ n(n-1) +1]
that is
k^2 = n (n+1)(n-1) + (n+1)
right?

You don't need to solve that equation just yet, only see how it can happen.
On the left side, you have k^2, and on the right side you have a multiple of two whole numbers, (n+1) and (n^2 - n + 1).
You know that k^2 can either be written as 1*k^2, k^2*1, or sqr(k^2)*sqr(k^2). These are also multiples of two whole numbers! So just pair them up:) You should get n=2, and from then k=3. 1*k^2 and k^2 * 1 won't lead to anything worth noticing.

EDIT: sqr(k^2), not sqr(k), sorry...

Tusike said:
You don't need to solve that equation just yet, only see how it can happen.
On the left side, you have k^2, and on the right side you have a multiple of two whole numbers, (n+1) and (n^2 - n + 1).
You know that k^2 can either be written as 1*k^2, k^2*1, or sqr(k^2)*sqr(k^2). These are also multiples of two whole numbers! So just pair them up:) You should get n=2, and from then k=3. 1*k^2 and k^2 * 1 won't lead to anything worth noticing.

EDIT: sqr(k^2), not sqr(k), sorry...

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you!
please check the steps
(n+1) = k
(n^2 -n +1) = k
n^2 -n +1 = n+1
n(n-2)=0 n=0 , k=1 (not prime)
n=2 , k=3

Last edited:
Yes, that is correct. Now I don't know about how "precise" this proof has to be, but if has to be really precise, you might want to examine the following two possibilities as well:
(1)
(n+1) = 1 and (n^2 - n + 1) = k^2

(2)
(n+1) = k^2 and (n^2 - n + 1) = 1

From the first you'll get that n = 0 and k = 1, which of course isn't prime, so that's not a good solution.
From the second, you'll get that n = 1, and k=sqr(2), which again isn't prime. However, you couldn't of known that you won't get valid solutions from these two, so I think they need to be added to the proof as well to make it complete.

Thank you very much,Tusike
^_^

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and relationships of integers (whole numbers). It focuses on patterns and structures within numbers, and has numerous real-life applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics.

2. What is a number theory problem?

A number theory problem is a mathematical question that involves applying concepts and techniques from number theory to find solutions. These problems can range from simple arithmetic puzzles to complex research questions with real-world implications.

3. What are some common topics in number theory problems?

Some common topics in number theory problems include prime numbers, divisibility, modular arithmetic, Diophantine equations, and number patterns. These topics often overlap with other branches of mathematics, such as algebra and geometry.

4. How are number theory problems solved?

Number theory problems are typically solved using a combination of logical reasoning, algebraic manipulation, and creative problem-solving techniques. Some problems may also require knowledge of specific theorems or algorithms from number theory.

5. Why is number theory important?

Number theory has many practical applications, such as in cryptography (protecting information), coding theory (error-correction codes), and data encryption (secure communication). It also helps us better understand the structure of numbers and can lead to new discoveries and advancements in other areas of mathematics and science.