1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Number Theory

1. Jan 27, 2007 #1
    Anna says, "We three have $100 altogether." Betty says, "Yes, and if you had six times as much and I had one-third as much, we three would still have $100." Carl says, It's not fair. I have less than $30." Who has what? (Dudley)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This being a textbook problem, the question belongs in the Homework & Coursework forum.
  4. Jan 27, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Let A, B, C be the amounts of money Anna, Betty, and Carl have, respectively.

"We three have $100 altogether." A+ B+ C= 100

Betty (presumably responding to Anna) says, "if you had six times as much and I had one-third as much, we three would still have $100"
    6 times as much for Anna would be 6A and one-third as much for Betty would be (1/3)B: 6A+ (1/3)B+ C= 100. Subtracting those two equations will eliminate C (Carl): (6-1)A+ (1/3- 1)B= 5A- 2/3 B= 0 or 2/3B= 5A so B= (15/2)A. Now, I think we will have to assume that each person has an integer number of dollars- in particular it follows from that that Anna has an even number of dollars. Use that equation, together with the fact that Carl has less than 30 dollars to see what integer amounts will satisfy the conditions.
  5. Jan 27, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Note that [tex]0\leq{C}=100-\frac{2}{2}A-\frac{15}{2}A=\frac{200-17A}{2}<30[/tex]
    Thus, you have the inequality:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?