Numerical stability of stiff problem

In summary, the speaker has a complicated system represented by two equations and has chosen to solve it using the fixed-point iteration method with adaptive time stepping. They have chosen a specific way to determine the time step and are looking for feedback on whether it is the best approach. They also mention that the value of $\alpha$ may need to be adjusted for certain values of $x$ and $y$, and ask for suggestions on how to determine it as a function of $x$ and $y$.
matteo86bo
I have a very complicated stiff system, which can be expressed as:

[itex]x^{\prime}(t)=A(x,y)-B(x,y)[/itex]
[itex]y^{\prime}(t)=C(x,y)-D(x,y)[/itex]

I decided to solve it with the fixed-point iteration method (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_point_iteration) but I also have to use adaptive time stepping to iterate the equations. I have decided to chose the time step in the following way:

[itex]dt=\alpha min(\left|\frac{A(x,y)}{x}\right|^{-1},\left|\frac{B(x,y)}{x}\right|^{-1},\left|\frac{C(x,y)}{y}\right|^{-1},\left|\frac{D(x,y)}{y}\right|^{-1},\left|\frac{A(x,y)-B(t,x,y)}{x}\right|^{-1},\left|\frac{C(x,y)-D(x,y)}{y}\right|^{-1})[/itex]

with [itex]\alpha[/itex] a constant less than unity.
What do you think of my choice? Do you think there's a better way to define the time step?
Also, I keep [itex]\alpha[/itex] constant but I noticed I have to decresead for some particular values of x and y. What do you think might a way to determin [itex]\alpha[/itex] as a function of x and y?

Physics news on Phys.org
My choice of time step seems reasonable. However, you may need to adjust the value of $\alpha$ depending on the particular values of $x$ and $y$. You could consider using a local error estimator such as the Richardson extrapolation technique (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richardson_extrapolation) to determine the optimal value of $\alpha$ for each iteration. Alternatively, you might explore more sophisticated adaptive time-stepping methods such as Runge-Kutta or implicit integration techniques.

1. What is a stiff problem?

A stiff problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves differential equations with widely different time scales. This means that there are some components of the equation that change much faster than others, making it difficult to solve using traditional numerical methods.

2. Why is the numerical stability of stiff problems important?

Numerical stability is important for stiff problems because it ensures that the solution obtained through numerical methods is accurate and reliable. Without numerical stability, the solution can quickly become inaccurate and unreliable as the problem becomes more complex.

3. What are the consequences of numerical instability in stiff problems?

The consequences of numerical instability in stiff problems can include incorrect solutions, large errors, and the inability to accurately predict the behavior of the system over time. This can have serious implications in fields such as engineering and physics where accurate predictions are crucial.

4. How do you determine the numerical stability of a stiff problem?

The numerical stability of a stiff problem can be determined by analyzing the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix, which represents the relationship between the variables in the differential equations. If the eigenvalues have a large difference in magnitudes, the problem is likely to be stiff and require specialized numerical methods.

5. What are some common numerical methods used to solve stiff problems?

Some common numerical methods used to solve stiff problems include implicit methods, such as the implicit Euler method and the backward differentiation formula (BDF), and explicit methods like the Runge-Kutta method. These methods are specifically designed to handle the challenges posed by stiff problems and maintain numerical stability.