Green's Function half-space

In summary, we discussed the definition of Green's function for the half-space and the proper way to construct the chain rule for ##\partial y_n##, using the example of ##\Phi## being a function of ##y-x## instead of ##(y-x)_n##. We also looked at the steps for solving for ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial y_n}## and found that it is equal to ##\frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|^n}##.
Shackleford
This is from Evans page 37. I seem to be missing a basic but perhaps subtle point.

Definition. Green's function for the half-space ##\mathbb{R}^n_+,## is
\begin{gather*}
G(x,y) = \Phi(y-x) - \Phi(y-\tilde{x}) \qquad x,y \in \mathbb{R}^n_+, \quad x \neq y.
\end{gather*}
What's the proper way to construct the chain rule here for ##\partial y_n## given that ##\Phi## is a function of ##y-x##? Instead ##(y-x)_n##? I think I setup my ##u## substitution correctly, but I'm unclear on ##\frac{\partial u}{\partial y_n}##.

I seem to be missing a subtle point here.
\begin{gather*}
\begin{split}
\Phi(y-x) & = \frac{1}{n(n-2)\alpha (n)} \cdot \frac{1}{|y-x|^{n-2}} = \frac{1}{n(n-2)\alpha (n)} \cdot |y-x|^{-(n-2)}, \\
x & =(x_1,...,x_{n-1},x_n) \qquad \tilde{x}=(x_1,...,x_{n-1},-x_n), \\
y-x & = (y_1-x_1,...,y_{n-1}-x_{n-1},y_n-x_n), \\
y-\tilde{x} & =(y_1-x_1,...,y_{n-1}-x_{n-1},y_n+x_n), \\
\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y_n}(y-x) & = \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y_n} \qquad u = |y-x|, \; \frac{du}{dy_n} =\frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|}, \\
& = \frac{-(n-2)}{n(n-2)\alpha (n)} |y-x|^{-(n-2)-1} \frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|} \\
& = \frac{-1}{n\alpha (n)} \frac{|y-x|}{|y-x|^n} \frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|} = \frac{-1}{n\alpha (n)} \frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|^n} \\
\end{split}
\end{gather*}

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out.
\begin{gather}
\begin{split}
u & = |y-x| = \left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} (y_i-x_i)^2 \right)^\frac{1}{2} \\
& = \frac{du}{dy_n} = \frac{1}{2}\left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} (y_i-x_i)^2 \right)^\frac{-1}{2} 2\sum_{i=1}^{n}(y_i-x_i) = \frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|^n}. \\
\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial y_n}(y-x) & = \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial u} \frac{\partial u}{\partial y_n} = \frac{-(n-2)}{n(n-2)\alpha (n)} |y-x|^{-(n-2)-1} \frac{y_n-x_n}{|y-x|} \\
\end{split}
\end{gather}

1. What is a Green's function in the context of a half-space?

A Green's function in the context of a half-space is a mathematical function that represents the response of a system to a unit impulse at a specific point in the half-space. It is commonly used in mathematical models to solve boundary value problems in which the boundary is a half-space, such as in geophysics or fluid mechanics.

2. How is a Green's function for a half-space different from a regular Green's function?

A Green's function for a half-space is different from a regular Green's function because it takes into account the boundary conditions of a half-space, which can be more complex than those of a regular bounded system. This makes the calculation of the Green's function more challenging and the resulting function more specialized for solving problems in a half-space.

3. What are the applications of Green's function in a half-space?

Green's function in a half-space has various applications in fields such as geophysics, fluid mechanics, and acoustics. It can be used to model the propagation of waves in a half-space, such as seismic waves in the Earth's crust, sound waves in the ocean, or pressure waves in the atmosphere. It can also be used to solve boundary value problems in these fields, providing a more efficient and accurate solution compared to other methods.

4. How is a Green's function for a half-space calculated?

A Green's function for a half-space is typically calculated using integral transforms, such as the Laplace transform or the Fourier transform. The specific method depends on the type of boundary conditions and the problem being solved. In general, the Green's function is obtained by solving a set of partial differential equations that describe the behavior of the system in the half-space.

5. Can a Green's function for a half-space be used for other geometries?

Yes, a Green's function for a half-space can be used for other geometries, but it may require modifications to the original function. For example, a Green's function for a half-space can be used for a bounded system by adding a mirror image of the half-space. However, in some cases, a new Green's function may need to be derived for a different geometry to accurately model the system's behavior.