1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nyquist (Polar) plots in circuits, phase question

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Okay, this is probably a really simple thing but I'm just not able to wrap my head around it for whatever reason.
    I've got a second order system with feedback, where I've found the transfer function (and the real and imaginary parts of the transfer function), given by -AB = K/((1+jwt)^2).
    So I work through it, get to tan(theta) = Im/Re.
    To draw the Nyquist plot, I know I need to analyse what happens to theta as frequency (w) approaches zero and infinity.

2. Relevant equations
    I end up with tan(theta) = [2wtK] / [(-K)(1-(wt)^2)]
    where w = omega = angular frequency
    K = gain factor, a constant
    t = tau = time constant = RC (R = resistance, C = capacitance)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can manage finding what theta approaches as w tends to zero. In this case it also goes to zero.
    But I just can't wrap my head around why, when w tends to infinity, theta tends to -180 degrees.
    Could someone please explain this? I know it's simple, but it's just not clicking for me.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Look at the transfer function as a complex number (not just the imaginary/real ratio), and as [tex]\omega\to\infty[/tex], you'll see that it approaches the negative real axis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook