Nyquist (Polar) plots in circuits, phase question

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding theta in a second order system with feedback using the transfer function. When analyzing the Nyquist plot, the value of theta is found to approach zero as w tends to zero, and -180 degrees as w tends to infinity. The transfer function is represented as a complex number to understand this behavior.
tigger88

Homework Statement

Okay, this is probably a really simple thing but I'm just not able to wrap my head around it for whatever reason.
I've got a second order system with feedback, where I've found the transfer function (and the real and imaginary parts of the transfer function), given by -AB = K/((1+jwt)^2).
So I work through it, get to tan(theta) = Im/Re.
To draw the Nyquist plot, I know I need to analyse what happens to theta as frequency (w) approaches zero and infinity.

Homework Equations

I end up with tan(theta) = [2wtK] / [(-K)(1-(wt)^2)]
where w = omega = angular frequency
K = gain factor, a constant
t = tau = time constant = RC (R = resistance, C = capacitance)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can manage finding what theta approaches as w tends to zero. In this case it also goes to zero.
But I just can't wrap my head around why, when w tends to infinity, theta tends to -180 degrees.
Could someone please explain this? I know it's simple, but it's just not clicking for me.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the transfer function as a complex number (not just the imaginary/real ratio), and as [tex]\omega\to\infty[/tex], you'll see that it approaches the negative real axis.

What is a Nyquist (Polar) plot in circuits?

A Nyquist plot is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a system. It shows the relationship between the magnitude and phase of a circuit's transfer function as a function of frequency, typically plotted on a logarithmic scale. The polar plot format displays this information in a circular graph, with magnitude represented by the distance from the origin and phase represented by the angle from the positive real axis.

Why is a Nyquist (Polar) plot used in circuit analysis?

Nyquist plots are used to analyze the stability of a system, as well as to determine the frequency response of a circuit. They are particularly useful for understanding the behavior of feedback systems, as they provide a visual representation of the gain and phase margins of the system.

How do you interpret a Nyquist (Polar) plot?

The Nyquist plot can be interpreted by looking at the shape and location of the plot. The number of encirclements of the -1 point (the point corresponding to a phase shift of 180 degrees) indicates the number of poles in the right half of the s-plane, which can affect the stability of a system. The distance of the plot from the origin (the magnitude) indicates the gain of the system, and the angle from the positive real axis (the phase) indicates the phase shift of the system at a given frequency.

What is the relationship between a Bode plot and a Nyquist (Polar) plot?

A Bode plot and a Nyquist plot both display the frequency response of a system, but in different formats. A Bode plot shows the magnitude and phase response separately, with the magnitude plotted on a linear scale and the phase plotted on a logarithmic scale. A Nyquist plot combines both the magnitude and phase information into one plot, using a polar format.

How are Nyquist (Polar) plots used in circuit design?

Nyquist plots are used in circuit design to evaluate the stability and frequency response of a system. They can help identify potential issues and allow for adjustments to be made to improve the performance of the circuit. They are also useful for comparing different circuit designs and selecting the most suitable one for a given application.