Object drawn across two support points

In summary: I meant -60g.In summary, the Homework Equations cannot be solved without the help of a third equation.
swpz

Homework Statement

A 60kg object placed 1m from B is drawn across a beam laid down across two support points. Support point A can only withstand 600N of force before giving way. Support point B is assumed to be capable of withstanding any amount of force.

The beam is 6m in length and weighs 20kg. How far can the object be moved across before support point A collapses?

Homework Equations

upload_2016-7-9_0-27-55.png

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think this is a statics question, at least, this is the context within the course material that poses the question.

So, first I drew a diagram as follows:

upload_2016-7-9_0-45-4.png

Then did this:

upload_2016-7-9_0-42-18.png

So I can solve the forces for when the object is at 1m just fine - I think at least. But that is not what the question is asking. How do I get varying distances with this without resorting to doing manual calculations one at a time for each varying distance? Is there an alternative way?

Using algebra I can break down the equation and rewrite as this:

upload_2016-7-9_0-51-3.png

But this goes no where as F_B is still an unsolved value so rewriting is meaningless. F_B's final value is linked directly to the d_P is at and so intuitively, I cannot think of a way that either can be isolated as they are coupled.

Actually... am I approaching this question the wrong way entirely?Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a given number you have not used.

You mean FA = 600 right?

Thought about that, but it doesn't make much sense to me since the sum of Fy doesn't involve distances, the distance part is calculated when FB is calculated.

edit:

Wait... you're saying do equations in reverse order?

swpz said:
You mean FA = 600 right?

Thought about that, but it doesn't make much sense to me since the sum of Fy doesn't involve distances, the distance part is calculated when FB is calculated.

edit:

Wait... you're saying do equations in reverse order?
When there's an unknown force that you do not care about, there are typically two possible approaches:
  1. Use one equation involving it to eliminate it from the other equations.
  2. Pick an axis for the moments equation such that the uninteresting force has no moment about it.

... Oh, well that's... a rather silly oversight on our part. Think got so fixated on the "procedure of B then A that every example just kept using" that lost track of something as basic as this. Afterwards just kept going round and round in circles. Thanks for the reminder.

So having done the above, arrived at a final answer of 2.9m for distance at the point of collapse.

swpz said:
... Oh, well that's... a rather silly oversight on our part. Think got so fixated on the "procedure of B then A that every example just kept using" that lost track of something as basic as this. Afterwards just kept going round and round in circles. Thanks for the reminder.

So having done the above, arrived at a final answer of 2.9m for distance at the point of collapse.
Is that 2.9m from B or from initial position?

2.9m from B.

swpz said:
2.9m from B.
Well, it asks
swpz said:
How far can the object be moved across
which might mean from its initial 1m position.

Hmm okay, so suppose it could mean either 1.9m from initial position or 2.9m from B then.

The wording is somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation as to whether "moved across" means from B or from the initial value.

swpz said:
Hmm okay, so suppose it could mean either 1.9m from initial position or 2.9m from B then.

The wording is somewhat ambiguous and open to interpretation as to whether "moved across" means from B or from the initial value.
I agree, but if it means distance from B I don't know why they mention the 1m initial position.
Incidentally, I get a different answer. Please post your working.

As follows:

upload_2016-7-10_0-24-42.png

Now that we have a figure for FB, we simply plug that into solve for dP

upload_2016-7-10_0-25-0.png

I had opted to convert the 600N to g instead of convert everything to N to reduce number of conversions required.

swpz said:
As follows:

View attachment 103006

Now that we have a figure for FB, we simply plug that into solve for dP

View attachment 103007

I had opted to convert the 600N to g instead of convert everything to N to reduce number of conversions required.
Looks like you are taking moments about A.
How did the -cgdM turn into +60g?

Well as my original equation had stated the conditions for CCW motion was to be negative, under the same conditions -- = +

At least that is the idea, but I tend to mess up on my sign conventions a lot, could you explain what the issue is here?

Thanks

swpz said:
Well as my original equation had stated the conditions for CCW motion was to be negative, under the same conditions -- = +

At least that is the idea, but I tend to mess up on my sign conventions a lot, could you explain what the issue is here?

Thanks
That does not explain how -cgdM becomes +60g. That's just a question about algebra. To explain it, you need either c or dM to be negstive.

Suppose we should also define an x/y axis then, dM would become negative if it is stated that B is the initial point on the x-axis with positive right and negative left. As such, the point cg is located -3 units to the left from the initial point of B and would thus become negative. This make any sense at all?

swpz said:
Suppose we should also define an x/y axis then, dM would become negative if it is stated that B is the initial point on the x-axis with positive right and negative left. As such, the point cg is located -3 units to the left from the initial point of B and would thus become negative. This make any sense at all?
Not really. You are taking moments about A, no? So all the displacements must be from A. You could make the 20kg at minus 3m from A, but then FB would be at -6m etc.

Ah alright, I see what's going on. So when I used the equations for torque in the OP, I was calculating B, and as such point cg would have been negative, but as we are now calculating point A, cg becomes positive, so in effect it is FB - cg and not + cg.

This changes the distance to 0.8776m... from point A, or 5.1225m from B.

swpz said:
Ah alright, I see what's going on. So when I used the equations for torque in the OP, I was calculating B, and as such point cg would have been negative, but as we are now calculating point A, cg becomes positive, so in effect it is FB - cg and not + cg.

This changes the distance to 0.8776m... from point A, or 5.1225m from B.
I estimated it as about 5m from B.
You can get there more quickly by my second approach, just take moments about B. Then you only need that equation, no need to consider vertical sum of forces.

Alright.

You've been a great help, thank you.

1. What is an object drawn across two support points?

An object drawn across two support points refers to a situation where an object is placed on two supports or surfaces and is then pulled or moved across them. This can be seen in various experiments and real-world scenarios, such as a block being pulled along a frictionless surface by a string attached to two points.

2. How does the weight of the object affect its movement across two support points?

The weight of an object can have a significant impact on its movement across two support points. If the object is heavier, it may require more force to move it across the supports. However, if the object is too light, it may not have enough weight to create the necessary friction to move across the supports.

3. What factors can affect the friction between the object and the two support points?

The friction between an object and two support points can be influenced by several factors, including the weight of the object, the type of surface the supports are made of, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances that could reduce friction. Additionally, the angle at which the object is pulled can also affect the friction.

4. How does the distance between the two support points impact the movement of the object?

The distance between the two support points can greatly affect the movement of the object. If the supports are closer together, the object may experience more friction and require more force to move across them. However, if the supports are farther apart, the object may experience less friction and require less force to move.

5. What are some real-world applications of an object being drawn across two support points?

There are many real-world applications of an object being drawn across two support points. For example, the concept can be seen in the movement of a car's tires on a road, a person sliding down a rope, or a boat being pulled through water by a rope attached to two points. It is also commonly used in physics experiments to study the principles of friction and motion.