Object hangs from rope on a railroad car

• Thread starter cassienoelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Rope
In summary, the object hangs from a rope that is attached to a support on a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 7.8 degrees with the vertical.
cassienoelle

Homework Statement

A 7.3 kg object hangs at one end of a rope that is attached to a support on a railroad car. When the car accelerates to the right, the rope makes an angle of 7.8 degrees with the vertical, as shown in the figure below.

(attached)

What is the acceleration of the railroad car in m/s2?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 5895591bf623fc954ca6cd572e088b039a9087c24bb1c8decc3c3e7236ae7e29cd29713f05c8a90de62b15ee7b4070f1.gif
    5895591bf623fc954ca6cd572e088b039a9087c24bb1c8decc3c3e7236ae7e29cd29713f05c8a90de62b15ee7b4070f1.gif
    22.9 KB · Views: 854
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know where to begin, try drawing a free body diagram in the rest frame of the mass, where the acceleration of the car is a force acting on the mass. What other force(s) are at play? Again, show what you've tried so far or tell us where you're stuck if you want more help.

You can think of the acceleration producing a "fictitious force" in the opposite direction: F=ma. As PICsmith suggested, draw a free body diagram with this fictitious force to determine what it is.

No one is helping.
I have NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING.
I don't understand physics.
I don't understand gravity.
I
DON'T
UNDERSTAND
ANY
OF
THIS.

What forces act on the object? (Hint: only two forces act, what are they?)
Draw a free body diagram.
Apply Newton's 2nd law. (Hint: Apply it to both the horizontal and vertical directions.)

so gravity is in the vertical direction down.
and acceleration is in the horizontal direction straight to the right
and mass is at angle theta from the y axis?

cassienoelle said:
so gravity is in the vertical direction down.
and acceleration is in the horizontal direction straight to the right
Correct.
and mass is at angle theta from the y axis?
The rope is at that angle, yes.

You mentioned gravity, but what other force acts on the mass?

Other than gravity? Um, the acceleration. That's all I can think of. And the mass of the ball.

cassienoelle said:
Other than gravity? Um, the acceleration. That's all I can think of. And the mass of the ball.
Acceleration is not a force. (Neither is mass, but it does allow us to calculate the force of gravity.) Hint: What's touching the ball?

Doc Al said:
What forces act on the object? (Hint: only two forces act, what are they?)

Well, if we're in a reference frame on the railroad car, there's three forces acting on the mass: gravity (downward), the "fictitious" force caused by the train's acceleration (to the left, not right...that's why the mass has swung to the left), and one more force that, as Doc Al said, is caused by something touching the mass.

This is a statics problem since the mass isn't moving (in the train's reference frame). Thus, the sum of all three forces is zero. That's your equation, and you want to solve for the "fictitious" force, which will give you the acceleration of the train (by dividing by the mass, of course).

Unless the OP has explicitly covered the use of 'fictitious' forces and non-inertial reference frames in his course--which I highly doubt--I recommend sticking to an inertial frame for this problem.

1. How does the mass of the object affect its movement when hanging from a rope on a railroad car?

The mass of the object does not affect its movement when hanging from a rope on a railroad car. This is because the object is being pulled by the same force of gravity regardless of its mass, and the rope is providing an equal and opposite force to balance it.

2. Will the object swing back and forth as the railroad car moves?

Yes, the object will swing back and forth as the railroad car moves. This is because the rope is acting as a pendulum, allowing the object to swing freely as the car accelerates and decelerates.

3. What factors determine the speed and direction of the object's swing?

The speed and direction of the object's swing are determined by the speed and direction of the railroad car's movement, as well as the length and tension of the rope. The longer the rope and the higher the tension, the faster and wider the swing will be.

4. How does the angle of the rope affect the movement of the object?

The angle of the rope does not affect the movement of the object in terms of speed or direction. However, a larger angle will result in a longer rope, which will increase the pendulum effect and cause the object to swing more widely.

5. Can the object fall off the rope while the railroad car is moving?

Yes, the object can fall off the rope while the railroad car is moving if the rope is not properly secured or if the car makes a sudden turn or stop. However, as long as the rope is secure and the car is moving at a constant speed, the object should remain safely attached to the rope.